Boot crash on screen resolution change

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JonathanB19, Jan 18, 2022.

1. JonathanB19

JonathanB19 Bit poster

I've had this problem repeatedly with a large Big Sur VM, running under Parallels Desktop 17.1.0; after a crash on the base Big Sur machine, the VM then gets halfway through the boot process and fails, returning to the start-button screen. Each time I've had to try going back to an old snapshot, or restoring from Time Machine, and it's extremely intermittent whether it works or not.

Each time, the progress bar on the boot screen (below the Apple logo) gets about halfway across. Normally at this point the display resolution changes, the Apple logo and progress bar get visibly smaller, and the progress bar continues -- presumably this is Parallels engaging with the base machine's display size and resolution. When the machine is corrupted, this is the point where it fails.

The machine *does* boot successfully in Safe Mode or Recovery Mode, with the display staying in low-res square format. A normal boot with the VM not set to fullscreen still crashes. In the "Graphics" section of the configuration dialog, I've tried "Best for Retina" and "Scaled" on the setting sizes, and 64Mb (recommended) and 512Mb on the memory settings; no luck.

If I go back to a snapshot where the machine is suspended or running, usually the screen glitches, then it crashes and fails to reboot.

The underlying problem appears to be a segmentation fault in prl_vm_app; I've attached the crash report. If you tell me which files from the rest of the problem report are needed, I can supply them!

Attached Files:

2. JonathanB19

JonathanB19 Bit poster

Further details: since it appears to occur around the time of the display change, I've tried setting the display to 1024x768 while in Safe Mode and rebooting. No luck.
    I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Tools in safe mode. No luck there either.

3. JonathanB19

JonathanB19 Bit poster

I've managed to find a solution, though not an explanation; I cranked the VM's CPU and Memory settings up (to 32Gb RAM and the maximum of 20 processors), and successfully managed to restart, after trying a few different snapshots! Then I could return the settings to normal.

4. davidc104

davidc104 Bit poster

The driver that appears to cause the crash is the IUFileFilter.sys :

BugCheck 7F, {8, ffff8f002e02af90, ffff9f08d9d50940, fffff800770a8713}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for IUFileFilter.sys
    Probably caused by : cldflt.sys ( cldflt!HsmOsIsCbdTransacted+41 )

The IUFileFilter.sys is a component of IObit Uninstaller so try uninstalling IObit Uninstaller.

5. JonathanB19

JonathanB19 Bit poster

That's helpful... but as far as I can tell, I don't even have IObit Uninstaller installed! Either on the base machine or the VM.