Parallels RAS connection quality shows poor regardless of actual quality

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by GabrielS5, Jan 19, 2022.

1. GabrielS5

GabrielS5 Bit poster

All of our users will see poor connection quality regardless of when/where they connect and if the connection is actually bad. 400ms would be very noticeable latency but no one notices. I myself also get the same exact 400 ms latency poor but response is clearly fast and snappy.

How exactly does parallels determine latency? Is it pinging the server? If so that would explain it since we have ICMP blocked. If it determines it through another means can anyone explain why our connection always shows poor even if we're not experiencing any problems.

upload_2022-1-19_19-5-11.png

2. jpc

jpc Pro

As far as I know connection quality, latency and bandwidth are provided by RDP itself. The latency and bandwidth values are based on RDP server calculated values for rtt and data received between measurements. The connection quality value is based on the values of latency and bandwidth. It is strange that you have a bandwidth of "0". Maybe the RDP server did not do a measurement yet or bandwidth measurement is disabled? (there is a gpo for that).

(fyi: Parallels has its own "UX quality value" that shows on the Parallels Desktop Console and gives a more holistic view of system status.)

3. GabrielS5

GabrielS5 Bit poster

It shows 0 even after a few hours of staying logged in. In fact it hasn't changed once over a few hours.

Would you happen to know what the group policy item is so I can check cause it could very well be disabled.

Attached Files:

4. jpc

jpc Pro

Remote Desktop Session Host > Connections > Select network detection on the server
    https://admx.help/?Category=Windows...cies.TerminalServer::TS_SELECT_NETWORK_DETECT

If you choose any variant that includes "Connect Time Detect", all RDP connections will have a delay between actual connection and seeing something on the screen. Continuous network detection should have a minimal effect on the connection itself.