Xbox App Won't Download Games

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Michael Pitt, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Hi

Has anyone had any joy getting the Xbox App in Windows 11 on Arm downloading any games? I get a generic 0x0000001 error whenever I try to install game and every workaround I've tried on the Internet (mostly resetting the store, removing Gaming Services etc) hasn't worked.

I tried building a Win 10 Arm VM last night and had exactly the same issue, so not sure if it's a Microsoft problem or a Parallels 17.1 issue.

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

There have been a few threads discussing this issue. It is apparently an issue with Windows for ARM and not just running it with Parallels on macOS. There were links to several discussions on the Microsoft Support Forums also. Guess we will have to just be patient and wait for our beloved MS to solve the overall issue with the xbox app and Windows for ARM.

Michael Pitt likes this.
  3. GeoffreyC2

GeoffreyC2 Junior Member

same here (hello again SWANDY)

4. GeoffreyC2

GeoffreyC2 Junior Member

5. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Definitely not starting with another VM just to try Windows 10 ARM to see if it works. Let Microsoft figure out what is wrong with their xbox app. Fortunately I only paid $1.00 for two months trial of Gamepass - otherwise don't really care if I can't play just wanted to try out some of the available games to see if they would actually work on Windows 11ARM and Parallels.

6. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

I built a Win10 ARM VM the other night and had the same issue. The problem appears to be with the latest version of Gaming Services on ARM from what I can see which will be the same version on Win10 and Win11. It creates two services, one of which won't start - you get a "file not found" error. Win11 on Intel doesn't have the issue - I can start both services fine and install games using an old Surface.

7. DimitrisM3

DimitrisM3 Bit poster

Hi all , almost same thing here!
    I have a M1 MacBook Pro and last night I successfully installed and played via Xbox app with game pass, th RISE OF NATIONS.

when I tried to setup another game, I got the error message.
    I am not sure what happened and let me install the RISE OF NATIONS.

Any ideas ?

8. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

Some games work and some don't. Not sure why. Microsoft forums arent' much help.
    Today I was just browsing through the list of gamepass games. and trying to install them. Everything on my recommended list failed.

The only ones I've found that worked were:
    Enter the Gungeon
    Sunset Overdrive
    Sea of Thieves

9. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

I also managed to install Unravel, but it's an EA game, and the game pass store's EA installer is broken.
    If you get the beta from the EA website, you can then install EA games through game pass.

10. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

I say install, but Unravel doesn't run. EA app crashes I think.

11. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I got your first three installed (haven't tried Sea of Thieves). But Rise of Nations starts and exits after the intro; Enter the Dungeon plays but hesitates badly while playing; Sunset Overdrive loads but then causes the Windows VM to go into Suspended mode.
    I have tried several times to install Spelunky 2 without success. Only two games I have successfully installed and play are MS Solitaire Collection and Hydrothunder but I think they were installed through the MS Store app not the Xbox app itself.

12. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

Still having issues. Microsoft support tried to convince me it was the "system requirements" preventing installs, but even games that said my system was more than adequate refused to install, and games that it said didn't meet the requirements did.

13. sD_2

sD_2 Bit poster

14. ColinM17

ColinM17 Bit poster

Latest Xbox app won't list any games at all, it wants me to upgrade to ultimate and play on the cloud.
    I think they've thrown in the towel on ARM processors for gaming for now.
    Steam is hit or miss, as is Epic and Amazon stores, but at least they let you install the games that DO work.

15. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I have Steam (two games installed) and Battlenet (two installed but only one works) installed and aside from the Diablo II Resurrected (which I don't believe anyone has successfully gotten to run under Parallels/Windows ARM) my other games run fine - at least the ones I have tried lately. Gave up on the xbox app a while ago - basically wanted to play with it to see what apps that use bluetooth gamepads would work.