2021 16" MacBook fullscreen over notch?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Zamadatix, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Zamadatix

Zamadatix Bit poster

In the Windows 11 guest display configuration I see an option for "4112x2658" instead of the default "4112x2752". I assume this option is there for allowing the guest to fill the full screen (and have the notch cover the top center) but when I select it I just get a letter boxed output instead of the expected behavior. Is there another setting I need to enable in parallels to allow this resolution to span the full size of the display?

PayamH likes this.
  2. LukasD3

LukasD3 Bit poster

I am wondering the same. I cannot display Parallels on my nodged display.

3. LukasD3

LukasD3 Bit poster

4. Zamadatix

Zamadatix Bit poster

5. LukasD3

LukasD3 Bit poster

You're right.
    Remember how Long it took to fix it on iPhones back in the days? I reckon it was like at least 1 years.

6. Zamadatix

Zamadatix Bit poster

Other full screen apps have supported it since day 1 e.g. and Parallels already includes resolution options that match fullscreen over the notch area it's just not taking effect right hence this post.

7. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

It's doesn't seem possible to display content in "notched" area with native fullscreen apps (using green window button to switch app to separate fullscreen space). Apps displaying there do not use native fullscreen; for such apps, in Finder, one may choose 'Scale to fit below built-in camera' in app properties, though this scales down whole display.

I understand there's a temptation to use all available display pixels, but resulting screen ratio and missing screen piece will be generally an UI breaker.

8. GustavoN1

GustavoN1 Junior Member

StanislavZ, I understand where you are coming from, but if I had the option I'd turn it on, as I know my applications and desktops can handle the black area. And I would really like to have the extra pixels. If it isn't too difficult, and I assume it isn't to just opt-in to it, it would be great to have the option.

AaronF11 likes this.
  9. AndrewS55

AndrewS55 Bit poster

10. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

Those HIGs state that
    Use the system-provided full-screen experience.
    If you use custom full-screen support, rely on system-defined areas to keep your full-screen window content unobscured.
    using notch screen area is a direct violation of the rules.

11. Tuscan1987

Tuscan1987 Bit poster

For me the main problem is in games, when you go to the black part you can't scroll up and the only solution, which I personally don't find the most comfortable, is to block mouse scrolling.
    It would be good to be able to use the black part for scrolling up as well.

StanislavZ likes this.