what to do if installer for an app won't complete?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by abccC2, Jan 26, 2022.

1. abccC2

abccC2 Junior Member

Have a number of pieces of 3rd party software that fail to install (usually at the very end of the installation) in Windows 11 /M1.

The error is usually of the form "installation failed to complete - has rolled back"

How can I find out what the problem was?
    - incompatibility with Windows 11?
    - incompatibility with Arm?
    - something else?

2. abccC2

abccC2 Junior Member

3. abccC2

abccC2 Junior Member

Oh, but hold on, I'm already running a later preview :(

upload_2022-1-26_13-51-3.png

4. abccC2

abccC2 Junior Member

Yes, that's part of the problem: we're better with the Host than the Guest OS. I did look up the subject of Windows Logs but it seems you have to change LOTS of parameters and then it starts logging everything. Concerned about breaking something.

5. abccC2

abccC2 Junior Member

Thanks for that. Using Event Viewer I was able to find some "events" linked to a failed installation, select them and "save selected events" in a file to send to the developer. The information contained within seemed rudimentary but we'll see if it solicits a response.

The reason I was concerned about going through the complex procedure to turn on complete logging in Windows (googled that) is that it then starts filling up the disk big time. And not certain that I'd successfully be able to turn it off afterwards!

upload_2022-1-27_13-2-53.png