Preparing Automatic Repair

Discussion in 'Accessing your PC' started by AlexP24, Jan 9, 2021.

1. AlexP24

AlexP24 Bit poster

Hello there!

I tried to free up disk space on my Windows, but my computer froze and i was forced to reboot.

When I did, my windows was no longer accessible. I ran Repair on Disc Utility for Mac, but to no avail.

When i double click on my Windows icon, it loops into an infinite "Preparing automatic repair" loop before descending onto a blank screen.

Any advice on how to reboot and repair my windows?

THANK YOU

2. AdamR14

AdamR14 Bit poster

Solution 1. Perform a hard reboot

If your Windows cannot boot because of the "Preparing Automatic Repair" or "Diagnosing your PC" error, you can do a hard reboot.

• Remove the battery and AC adapter.
    • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and see if it will boot up normally.
    If this method doesn't work, try the following solutions.

Solution 2. Boot into safe mode

You can try the method below to enter into safe mode when you encounter any issues related to booting up your computer.

Step 1: Turn off your computer.

Step 2: Insert the Windows bootable installation disk to your PC and boot from it.

Step 3: When prompted to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key to continue.

Step 4: Select your language preferences in the Windows Setup interface, and click on Next button to continue.

[​IMG]

Step 5: Tap or click on Repair your computer to continue.

[​IMG]

Step 6: Select Troubleshoot.

[​IMG]

Step 7: Click on Advanced options.

Step 8: Click on Startup Settings.

Step 9: Click on Restart. After restart, the computer will show another screen that has different startup options.

[​IMG]

Step 10: On your keyboard, press the 4 or the F4 key to boot into minimal Safe Mode. (If you need to do some online research after booting into the safe mode, press 5 or F5 to boot into "Safe Mode with Networking.")

[​IMG]

Solution 3. Extend system reserved partition

If your computer's system reserved partition is smaller than it should be, you will get the "Preparing Automatic Repair" or "Diagnosing your PC" error message. To fix this issue, you can try extending system reserved partition. You can download MiniTool Partition Wizard to effectively complete this task.

Free Download

Helpful Article: This post "Extend Partition" will show you more information about how to change partition size easily and effectively.

After extending system reserved partition, you can restart your computer to check whether this issue has been solved.

Solution 4. Perform a startup repair

Some users recommend performing Startup Repair when the laptop is stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair during startup.

The steps are:

Insert the Windows bootable drive to your computer and boot from it.

Select your language preferences, and click on Next.

Click on Repair your computer.

Select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair.

[​IMG]

Solution 5. Rebuild BCD

If the boot files are missing or corrupted, you will receive the Preparing Automatic Repair error in Windows 10. Therefore, some users will re-build the boot record by following the below steps.

Step 1. Insert the Windows bootable installation disk into your PC that has "Preparing Automatic Repair" or "Diagnosing your PC" error message.

Step 2. Boot your PC from the installation disk.

Step 3. Select your language preferences, and click on Next button to continue.

Step 4. Click on Repair your computer.

Step 5. Click on Troubleshoot.

Step 6. Click on Command Prompt.

Step 7. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.

• bootrec /fixmbr
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bootrec /scanos
    • bootrec /rebuildbcd

[​IMG]

Step 8. Type exit and press Enter.

Step 9. Restart your PC.

Note: Modifying BIOS complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems, preventing your computer from booting properly. And, Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings at your own risk.
    Solution 6. Disable Automatic Repair at Windows 10 boot

During its startup, Windows 10 executes the Automatic Repair feature to fix booting related issues automatically. This feature is very useful for the average users. However, sometimes it might not suffice solving the startup problems; or, it might even be causing the startup problems itself. Therefore, disabling automatic repair might be a solution to some problems related to Windows 10 booting up. The steps are below.

a) Insert the Windows bootable drive to your PC and boot from it.

b) Select your language preferences, and click on Next.

c) Click on Repair your computer.

d) Click on Troubleshoot.

e) Click on Advanced Options.

f) Click on Command Prompt.

g) Type bcdedit /set {current} recoveryenabled No in the Command Prompt window and press Enter button.

[​IMG]

h) Type exit and press Enter.
    manhattan towing

3. TrackJ

TrackJ Bit poster

Most probably you deleted windows files accidently. Reinstall the windows. That's only solution.

4. Krysalisco

Krysalisco Bit poster

Hello!

I tried to free up disk space on my windows, but my computer crashed and I was forced to restart.

When I did, I could not access my windows. I ran the repair on Disk Utility for Mac, but to no avail.

Do you have any advice on how to restart and repair my windows?

5. Prot1

Prot1 Bit poster

Thanks for this great information. I tried to free up disk space on my Windows