Cannot save Excel for Mac 2016 files to VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ShaneO2, May 31, 2020.

1. HahnL

HahnL Bit poster

Hi Maria, appreciate if you could advise if the Parallels team was able to replicate the issue at the very least? Thanks.

2. To be honest, I've tried to reproduced this issue on my test environments and wasn't able to do it.
    Did you try these steps?

3. HahnL

HahnL Bit poster

Just tried the steps you've asked, same issue after the re-install of Parallel Tools.

4. HahnL

HahnL Bit poster

Tried also with Parallels 16.1.0 (48950), issue still persist. Appreciate if this can be looked into as a priority?

5. Jacobl8

Jacobl8 Bit poster

I cannot get exel 16 on my mac side to save as is with tools installed

6. Hello, could you provide us with a bit more information of the issue please? Did you try to save Windows file on the Mac side?

7. OndrejK1

OndrejK1 Bit poster

Having the same issue. Parallels needs to come up with a solution pls!!!

8. MelvinaN

MelvinaN Junior Member

Is it specifically an Excel issue or in PD? I am able to create a Word document and save it in the VM folders. The tech who did a remote session even disabled Avast to see if it was creating the issue, but it persisted. If I try to create a file and save it as a standard Excel format, .xls, .xlxs, .xlsm etc, it gives me that message. if I try to save as a Comm
    https://homeheavenz.com/best-air-purifier-for-mold/
    https://homeheavenz.com/best-air-purifier-for-car/
    https://homeheavenz.com/best-air-purifier-for-asthma/
    https://homeheavenz.com/best-air-purifier-for-dust/
    https://homeheavenz.com/best-air-purifier-for-weed-smoke/
    https://homeheavenz.com/best-filterless-air-purifier/

9. Hi, if the issue still there could you check the same behavior with the latest Parallels Desktop build 16.1.3 and share any results with us please?

10. RayJ2

RayJ2 Bit poster

I tested this again with the new PD 16.1.3 and it resulted in the same problem. I get the attached error message "cannot access the file '/Volumes/'
    The share settings are set to allow sharing between both windows and mac in the PD preferences, including executables.
    While the file does not save, it does create a new empty folder in the windows save location that is of the same name as the attempted "save as" file name with an addition extension of ".sb-and a random string of alphanumeric characters"

This was not a problem for me in version 14 of Parallels Desktop. It's been a bug since I renewed w

Mac OS 10.13.6
    PD 16.1.3
    Excel 365 version 16.43

Attached Files:

11. GrzegorzC1

GrzegorzC1 Bit poster

Hi,
    That Anybody solved this problem? I have the same issue with excel and paralle.
    I use PD 15
    Windows 10
    Mac OS 11.4 but I have this problem with elier versions too.
    Thanks for help.

12. PraetorS

PraetorS Bit poster

Hi, I have this problem too.
    PD 16.5.0 (49183)
    macOS Big Sur 11.4
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 (19042.1052)
    The problem is when I save the XLSX file e. g. to C:\Users\MyUser\
    For special folders e. g. C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\ it behaves differently.

Attached Files:

13. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Problem persists with latest PD 17.1.1, Excel 16.57, macOS 11.6.3
    No problem on initial save, the issue is on subsequent saves. In my screenshot below, you can see the original file, the ~temp working version, and lastly a folder that gets created when Excel tries and fails to save over the existing. As others have said, Word doesn't have this problem.

Attached Files:

14. DonaldL5

DonaldL5 Bit poster

This is true for me as well. I need a fix ASAP.

MacBook Pro 14-inch 2021, Apple M1 Pro
    Windows 11 ARM
    Parallels Desktop 17.1.1 (51537)

15. lindap2

lindap2 Bit poster

The share settings are set to allow sharing between both windows and mac in the PD preferences, including executables.
    While the file does not save, it does create a new empty folder in the windows save location that is of the same name as the attempted "save as" file name with an addition extension of ".sb-and a random string of alphanumeric characters"

JohnS112 likes this.
  16. JohnS112

JohnS112 Bit poster

Exact same problem here. 6 month old MB Pro.
    OS 11.6.4
    PD Business Edition Version 17.1.1 (51537)
    Latest versions of all Office products for Mac
    Word and Powerpoint save fine to the Windows location.
    Excel gives the error - "Microsoft Excel cannot access the file '/Volumes/[C] Windows 10/clients/69712200.MACTF'. There are several possible reasons:

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 5.30.04 PM.png

Sulaiman1 likes this.
  17. Sulaiman1

Sulaiman1 Bit poster

I have the same issue, was there any solution to it ?
    I am having the same issue, did not find any work around to it ? where you able to resolve it ?

18. SimoneT2

SimoneT2 Bit poster

so... no solution for this problem, years after it was first reported?

19. Sulaiman1

Sulaiman1 Bit poster

Same issue is persisting. As a way to solve this, I installed excel in windows vm. It is eating all the resources (16GB + 8 Core) and using all the power. My only option is to use Excel(Mac), any one to solve this issue.

20. MatthewB32

MatthewB32 Bit poster

Running Parallels 18.0.0 (53049), macOS 12.5 (212G72), and Windows 11 Pro (21H2 22000.856). The same issue as others have shared over the past several years, and which inexplicably seems to not even be tracked as a known issue by Parallels (with basically every report here being punted back asking for version number when this has clearly persisted since version 14).

When attempting to save back a file stored on the Windows disk, Excel on Mac encounters an error:

"Microsoft Excel cannot access the file '/Volumes/[C] Windows 11.hidden/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/Folder/filemane.MACTF'. There are several possible reasons:
    • The file name or path does not exist.
    • The file is being used by another program.
    • The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook."

Mac apps, in general, clearly have read and write access to the folder in question -- for example, I was able to create and save a Word document in the same folder referenced above. If I try to save the file with a different name from Excel, it fails with the same error.

It appears the issue is the "MACTF" file that Excel is trying to read from, when trying to save the file. Going to look some more into this angle, since Parallels support seems disinclined to even log this issue properly, let alone help troubleshoot and solve it.