SQL Server on Windows 11 - M1 MACS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Karthikeyan1, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Karthikeyan1

Karthikeyan1 Bit poster

Hi Guys,

I have M1 Mac with Windows 11 installed on Parallels desktop. I have tried to install SQL Server 2019, 2017 & 2014. But, the Database engine services is failing to install. I have attached the screenshots.

Kindly let me know how to solve this issue.

Thanks,
    Karthik.

Attached Files:

2. LeventY1

LeventY1 Bit poster

I have the same issue and haven't found a solution yet

3. Ahmed6

Ahmed6 Bit poster

same here

4. ThomasF28

ThomasF28 Bit poster

Has anyone else figures out the SQL cross over issues with windows and parallels?

5. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

Same problem for me. Really need an answer on this!!

6. RaoulS

RaoulS Bit poster

I have the same issue. It looks like there are a few other threads on this but their fixes haven't worked either...

7. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

I run the Act! CRM system in a Parallels system with my Intel MacBook Pro and using the new M1 you can't copy a VM over from one to the other and have to recreate it from scratch. In that process it would NOT install SQL 2019 which Act! - uses for the DB. I was able to finally manually install SQL 2014 and link it to Act! - even the latest version v24 and got it to work. Shouldn't be this tough and should install SQL 2019 normally but it doesn't.

8. IanC15

IanC15 Bit poster

Hi Bud, I'm trying to get Act up and running. I was wondering if you had loaded it on one of the Windows 10 ARM builds, and then upgraded to Windows 11 ARM, or did you do a clean install of Windows 11 ARM and then load SQL 2014 first, then load Act V24?

9. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

I did it on a new fresh install of Windows 11 ARM.

10. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

Ian let me know if you want to speak off line regarding getting Act! - to work with Parallels.

11. Savec

Savec Bit poster

Hey Bud, could you maybe help me with this problem?

12. DanielD24

DanielD24 Bit poster

All - you can install Azure SQL Edge on Docker Desktop or a Linux VM running Docker and use that with your Parallels windows machine to run SQL.
    Most functionality of Azure SQL Edge is consistent with SQL Server 2019 - though there are some very noticeable issues. The first is that Windows Authentication is not available, but many applications use SQL Log-In anyway. The second is that DB Mail functionality is not available.

13. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

Hi Savec: Yes IanC15 another forum member is now up and running. What version of Act! did you want to use with your M1 ARM system? -Bud

14. Savec

Savec Bit poster

Hey Bud,

I'm sorry for my late reaction. For my study I need to run MS SQL server 2019. I can't run it on Parallels because I think the M1 Chip doesn't work with Windows MS Sql 2019. Is there a way we can communicate with each other through an other platform btw?

Hope to hear from you soon!

15. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

16. MarcinP2

MarcinP2 Bit poster

So MS SQL 2019 works on M1 Windows ARM? How?

17. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

No MS SQL 2019 doesn't work but MS SQL 2014 does. The issue was trying to use Act! CRM with Parallels and M1.

18. Alexander24

Alexander24 Bit poster

MS SQL 2012 x32 works fine!

19. YasarE

YasarE Bit poster

I tried sql server express 2014 not does'nt work. Which download link did you use?

20. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

You have to use Act! v23 or earlier and then use SQL 2014 32 bit. The file in located in the installer folder.