Parallels Desktop 17.1 (51516) seems to have broken USB on Windows 11 ARM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ChrisP28, Oct 20, 2021.

1. zhangzj

zhangzj Bit poster

no news, now updates
    There was no news or update. There was no official response except that people who encountered this problem kept replying

JoachimV likes this.
  2. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

Of course not. This whole "open a support ticket" thing is just usual delaying tactics.

It's not as this would be a random or hard to reproduce issue. Just connect about any USB microphone or try to do ADB communications with a phone and you have it. Parallels V17.0.1 and earlier work, anything newer not. So what should users create the umpteenth report when it is fully clear what the issue is.

It just seems that they either don't care at all - or the support people "answering" here don't have any way to connect/interact with R&D. The whole management of those bug reports here reminds me somewhat of that of Huawei (and also other Chinese companies)... :-(

3. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

Hi,

I was not aware of such issues with usb audio devices until I today. I recently install PD 17.1 (latest) then bought a Windows 11 licence.... I was hoping to get rid of my Windows computer and to rely only on my Macbook.... until I discover that I have serious issue.... audio USB devices does not work consistently !!!! :(

I have 2 devices that generate serial COM port and audio USB codec device. Both devices.... audio does not work. Properly discovered and configured, but as soon as I try to use them.... application hang and this is completely useless.

The weird thing here, I am also using Crossover, and it works..... USB audio devices works flawlessly within a Windows 7 bottle using Crossover (Wine)..... But it is not a ideal solution... this why I adopt Parallels.

So far, I need to keep my Windows PC for such a sad and weird behavior when using audio USB devices with Windows 11 on PD 17.1.

I did not find a workaround either. So Parallels team..... what's next ??

Regards,

Jeff

4. OlegV

OlegV Member

Jeff_VA2SS likes this.
  5. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

Hi, thanks for the tip. I did try this version and also reinstalled Parallels tools tied to this software version as well on all VM. But still no luck.

All my audio USB devices that all use generic Windows audio drivers are not working. I use two apps that need to select their audio source, and each time I try to select the audio source, apps start getting slow and unresponsive then hang indefinitely without any luck. The weird thing is I am able to use those two using Crossover without any issue.

Any way, I understand that we all need to get an answer from Parallels support team..... REALLY SOON. This issue is indeed a show stopper for many people like us so far..... since months now.

Regards.

Jeff

6. OlegV

OlegV Member

This is strange. I'm pretty confident USB gone wrong after 17.1 update. As reported by many users on this forum and elsewhere, reverting back to 17.0 restores USB support to where it was before. Reverting to 17.0 worked for me too.

Can you confirm your Parallels version is indeed 17.0 after reinstall? Check the About box. When installing 17.0 the installer will ask you about newer version being available. The installer UI is kinda confusing. It is quite easy to make a mistake and inadvertently allow it to proceed with the upgrade...

Also after reverting to 17.0 Parallels Tools inside your VM should have automatically triggered a reinstall on the next VM boot. If not then try manually triggering a reinstall via menu Actions -> Reinstall Parallels Tools.

7. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

Hi, this is actually the steps I made... I installed previous versions 17.0.1 build 51482 to replace 17.1. I made sure to not upgrade when asking and stay at 17.0.1. Then I upgraded Parallels tools in all my 3 VM's then rebooted. I tested both apps and I was having the same described behavior as previously stated with the earliest 17.1 version.

So, having such no good results, I decided to try something else..... I was wondering if it might be Windows related in my case. So I upgraded again to Parallels latest version 17.1. Reinstalled Parallels tools in all VM's, then created a linked snapshot from a VM to create another instance of the VM to be tested. Then I subscribed within this linked VM to Windows Insider beta channel, to have access to all latest Windows 11 ARM updates, then tested everything again, with not much luck or success.

Again, I am still in a dead end. o_O

8. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

I also previously checked that the downgrade was a success..... I looked at the about box to confirm.

Regards,

Jeff

9. OlegV

OlegV Member

Ah you are on ARM. I see. Sorry, no experience with that. All I can tell 17.1 killed USB for me on both my Intel Macbook Pro and Intel Mac Pro. Both running MacOS Monterey 12.2.1. Downgrading Parallels back to 17.0.1 (51482) resolved USB issues on both machines for me.

Perhaps others can share their ARM Macs experience?

10. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

ok thanks.... the topic of this thread stated ARM... so.... ;) sorry for confusion.

regards.

11. OlegV

OlegV Member

Ah come on, who reads topics :p

The issue with 17.1 breaking USB is clearly not specific to ARM Macs.

Have you ever had USB working ok in Win 11 VM on ARM? If so perhaps you can try rolling back further to earlier Parallels versions until you find the one that works? Not ideal but given no official fix from Parallels ...

12. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

Yep! Both usb audio device when connected also create usb serial ports. One of them is using SILABS chipset and the other one is using a FTDI chipset. And both USB serial ports are working quite well so far. It seems related to the same issue people are facing here.... audio usb device. :)

I know I may try to roll back to a older version.... Maybe if Parallels could let us download previous version easily, it may contributes to help them.... but it does not seems the case so far....

13. OlegV

OlegV Member

It looks to me all versions are already available for download. It is just the matter of constructing the correct download link for your version which is fairly simple. The general link format appears to be:

https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v<VersionMajor>/<Version>-<Build>/ParallelsDesktop-<Version>-<Build>.dmg

I.e. for 17.0.1 (51482) you use:
    https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v17/17.0.1-51482/ParallelsDesktop-17.0.1-51482.dmg

for 17.1.0 (51516) you use:
    https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v17/17.1.0-51516/ParallelsDesktop-17.1.0-51516.dmg

etc.

Full version history to get the numbers from can be found here:
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/125552

14. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

I have
    I have a MacBook M1 and am running Windows 11 on ARM. The same behavior as with the x86 version - USB on V17.0.1 works, on V17.1.0 and 17.1.1 it doesn't.
    I really don't understand why they cannot just revert what they've done to USB code in the (minor) jump from 17.0.1 to 17.1.0? OR maybe they don't really care at all.

Maybe I'll have to give VMWare a try since I am not running anything gfx intense but need proper USB support. Or fiddle with QEMU/UTM. This would also have the benefit of freeing me from the annoying subscription that's needed for Parallels...

15. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

UPDATE 2022-03-02
    I finally found a work around for my issue. As earlier version does not solve my problem, I am still using latest 17.1.1. Instead of using the virtual audio usb device from Windows, I let this disable and use instead the virtual session audio redirector from Parallels to redirect input and output audio to my audio USB device running on mac OS.... and it works flawlessly now! Even more, I am not using serial USB any more, I am using serial COM port redirector with Parallells too. For my needs, it offer a lot more control over all my devices that I need to manage. The down side, only 4 serial ports can be created per virtual session.... but this is OK with me.

So, unless Parallels solves the issue related to audio USB devices, I have a functional workaround to let me manage all my devices within Parallels Desktop latest version on my macbook air ARM (M1).

Regards,

ss1.png
    ss2.png ss3.png

16. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

Installed latest update 17.1.2 today.... I was hoping this update will resolve my issue..... nope....:mad:

17. RoderickL

RoderickL Junior Member

Jef_VA2SS's solution did not work for me.

2 different USB microphones (Philips SpeechMike III and Buddy 6 external sound card with Sennheiser ME3 microphone) repeatedly disconnect from VM after establishing connection and using for a few minutes. I am using them with Dragon Professional Individual. DPI works perfectly in VM with no microphone connected i.e. with onboard soundcard for the MacBook. I have tried connecting to Mac, and directly to VM. Tried every setting, searched forums for over 2 weeks, but problem continues. Rolling back to 17.0.1 did not resolve. There appears to be a major USB issue with 17.1.0, 17.1.1 and 17.1.2 (all of these versions lead to my USB microphones being disconnected randomly).

18. JerryG

JerryG Member

I also use the Philips SpeechMike III and have loads of issues getting it to work properly with my Windows 11 ARM VM. I use the Windows sound control panel to check the sound input. Sometimes, no response to sound input. Sometimes the meter is constantly at the full end of the scale. It's very annoying. Often it takes one or two restarts of Windows to get it to work. Sometimes, it's working and then suddenly, no response to sound input.

19. RoderickL

RoderickL Junior Member

Yes that is identical to my experience. I have received a reply from Support, who have advised to try all the things that I have done already, and if that does not work then to reinstall Parallels. Reinstallation is perhaps not as bad as it sounds because you do not lose the virtual machine. Might look into this at some point, however for the time being I have actually been finding that using my MacBook Pro 16 inch M1 Pro without a USB microphone is actually pretty good. The built-in microphone is of studio quality and I have been getting very accurate results. I have used voice recognition for over 20 years , and we have always been told that we must use an external microphone, but perhaps for the sake of reliability this is the way to go. Certainly makes the set up much more portable. I fully appreciate that if you use an external monitor, this might complicate things a little bit although perhaps not to be a dealbreaker.

20. wjjw73

wjjw73 Bit poster

Version 7.1.4-51567 - still USB issue not fixed -> again back to 17.0.1 (which is still the only stable version).

JoachimV likes this.