Windows drive not mounted on Mac desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AaronWeis, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

AaronWeis, we're studying the issue.

[edited]

Developers are asking for another screenshot, please.
    Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal
    In Terminal window please type:
    kextstat | grep fuse
    We'd like to see this screenshot to specify the way your MacFUSE is working.
    Your pvs file notifies that C drive must be mounted without any problems...
    Could you also check, if you have NTFS-3G driver installed or something using this driver?

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. briand

briand Bit poster

Think I've found a workaround until Parallels fixes what seems to be a conflict with Leopard

I found the same problem after installing Leopard 10.5, running Parallels 3

The 'C WindowsXP' which used to mount automatically under 10.4.10 now reports a Timed Out error

I also tried updating MacFuse but that had no effect. Then I looked into the Parallels Configuration editor and found that setting the "Shared User Profile" to "Enable" and checking "Documents to My Documents" allows you to open the Mac's Documents folder in Windows and transfer files that way. Problem is, its really slow and it takes time for the screen to refresh, folders to open etc.

What then happened was, about two minutes after opening the "mapped" Documents folder in Windows, Shared Folders and an icon for the PC appeared in the Finder with links to all the shared folders in Parallels

So I reset the Shared Profiles in Parallels Configuration editor to map only 'Music As My Music In Windows'

And two minutes after opening that Music folder in Windows, the PC link in Finder appeared again

Now all file transfers to the PC from the Mac happen quickly through the Finder, and file management on the PC is back up to speed

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Briand, thank you for posting your decision here.
    However it's not related to AaronWeis's issue. He's running Tiger 10.4.10. You've solved your Shared Folders problem when AaronWeis can't get his C drive mounted.
    As to Leopard, we'll work hard to make PD running smoothly with it as soon as we get it. Just noting here that Mac OS X Leopard arrives October 26.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. briand

briand Bit poster

My problem also arose with the C drive not mounting

Maybe its an issue with Leopard because the version I have was a Beta

5. pupomaha

pupomaha Bit poster

Xenos - any further update on this issue? I've trolled the forums and there still does not appear to be a valid workaround to get Windows drives mapped back to Leopard.

6. AaronWeis

AaronWeis Junior Member

I have downloaded and installed Build 5582 and as well MacFuse 1.1 for OS X 10.4 and it has not made a difference. I still do not get the mounting of the Windows drive on the desktop. In the console log, when the VM starts up, I get the following two entries:

QFSFileEngine::eek:pen: No file name specified
    fuse: invalid argument `'

Thanks,
    Aaron

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Pupomaha and Briand, did you try to install the latest MacFUSE version?

Aaron, could you please download your .hdd file to Parallels FTP server for we could check what is wrong with it? I'm sending you the instructions by Private Message.

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  8. briand

briand Bit poster

You might want to try a tip suggested in other threads - uninstall Parallels first, then reinstall the latest version.

This did the trick for me (although I'm running Leopard not 10.4)

Everything works with no need to re map folders, drives etc and no complicated stuff to do anywhere. Didn't need to do anything with MacFuse either

Dragging & dropping between desktops also works fine

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Aaron, please try the workaround from this thread. We seem to have found the cause of the problem.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. pupomaha

pupomaha Bit poster

It worked!

Thank you, Xenos. The fix from the other thread worked.