macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. ANTHONYC12

ANTHONYC12 Bit poster

i have upgraded my Mac Mini M1, MacOS Bis Sure version 11.5.2 to Parallel 17, during the upgrade phase it is now stuck in the restarting page for over a day now. I have Parallel Toolbox installed as well at that time of upgrade it was expired but have since purchased and is activated.
    What can i do now to resolve this "Restarting" phase?

2. ANTHONYC12

ANTHONYC12 Bit poster

resolved after i forced a "restart" and then it completed the upgrade, thanks

3. BeL2

BeL2 Bit poster

Hi guys,
    I got parallels last ear. One-time purchase. I tried to upgrade it and it requires my MacBook to "Allow Parallels Extension" however, in system preference nothing showed up for me to allow "Parallels International GmbH.

Does anybody know the solution?

Thanks

4. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Hi, please shut down the virtual machine and change the hypervisor to Apple to check on the issue:
    1. To Shut down the virtual machine: Actions > "Shut down" the virtual machine or refer here.
    2. To change the hypervisor type refer to https://kb.parallels.com/125186

5. ParallelsU756

ParallelsU756 Bit poster

Hello. May I please check one question as I haven't found the answer in the internet.
    I need to use windows for work. I have MacBook Air m1. If I use Parallels desktop 17 and install windows, can I use windows without internet connection? I mean at home I have internet all time. But sometimes I travel and I don't have internet for several days. Will I be able to use windows with all my working functional and files like it would be a windows laptop but without internet? Thank you in advance!

ElliotS3 likes this.
  6. Hello, you can use your virtual machine without an internet connection.
    For more information about the Parallels Desktop network modes please check this KB article.
    If you have any additional questions please let us know.

7. feff

feff Bit poster

In the process of running the arm version of linux using parallels, I found that the arm version of linux supports very little software, and it is not as easy to use as the amd version of linux. The software I often use can hardly be found in arm64 linux. So I especially hope that parallels can run amd64 linux

8. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello please follow the KB article https://kb.parallels.com/125375 for Linux VM.
    If the guest OS is compatible with your Mac, then Parallels will work smoothly.

9. feff

feff Bit poster

I think you should have misunderstood what I mean. What I want is not windows, but a linux running amd64 on m1 Apple computers, because nowadays m1 Apple computers can only run arm64 linux, but arm64 linux is very It's not easy to use and supports few software, so I hope parallels can run amd64 linux on Apple computers equipped with m1 chip

10. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

He
    Hello, kindly follow https://kb.parallels.com/128445 for installing Linux virtual machine on a Mac with Apple M1 chip. Thanks, Parallels Team.

11. RobinD5

RobinD5 Bit poster

Hi,
    Although I fully uninstalled parallels on my old macbook, the following error still shows up when trying to activate my license on the new macbook:
    Your product license has reached the activation limit.

Could Support please help me!

12. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, we have sent you a private message. Kindly check and response.

13. jhr

jhr Junior Member

After upgrading to Big Sur the "Shared network" VM's are no longer accessible from the host Mac. The networking works nicely from VM to Internet and other hosts on network, just not to host Mac. When I try to traceroute to the VM (any VM, it doesn't matter is it Windows or Linux) the first hop is to my Internet router, not to bridge interface. I couldn't find working route command, but it really shouldn't be needed anyway? Done the KB article "rm /Library/Preferences.." trick already, no help.

Bridged network works just fine. Any words of wisdom?

14. jhr

jhr Junior Member

Replying to myself. After re-generating MAC address for VM it started to work. Strange. I have rebooted the MacOS a couple of times already so ARP caches should have been flushed but after the VM got new MAC (and new IP address) the packets started to flow to correct network IF. Problem solved.

15. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, we are happy to hear your issue has been fixed. We appreciate that you have shared the troubleshooting steps with us as well.

16. AdahA

AdahA Bit poster

it seems the hard drive format just won't work. I installed Parallels inside a Big Sur install on an external drive and tried some things, but couldn't ever get anything to install, not from a time machine backup of Big Sur or a usb stick installer. I was actually hoping I could boot the VM from a real hard drive, but I only have one Big Sur install at the moment and that drive won't mount in Cataline, so something has changed with the drive format for sure. Tomorrow I may put Big Sur on a second usb drive and try to boot from one, run Parallels and then boot from the other in parallels just to see if it might actually run

17. AlexandraA1

AlexandraA1 Bit poster

it seems the hard drive format just won't work. I installed Parallels inside a Big Sur install on an external drive and tried some things, but couldn't ever get anything to install, not from a time machine backup of Big Sur or a usb stick installer. I was actually hoping I could boot the VM from a real hard drive, but I only have one Big Sur install at the moment and that drive won't mount in Cataline, so something has changed with the drive format for sure.

18. grahamg2

grahamg2 Bit poster

I realize that the majority of Mac users can get by without Windows virtualization at decent levels of performance, but I am sadly not one of them (I develop Windows-based software for a living, and use my Mac VMs as development and test environments).

19. MarcoT7

MarcoT7 Bit poster

Hello, I want a refund. I cannot activate Parallel Desktop bought yesterday can there is not contact of this company at all.
    My purchase is ruined and there is not where to reach the company at all. Customer has to come to this forum for the help?

20. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are sorry to hear that. May I know the reason for refund?