Windows 10 VM freezing, causing Mac to grind to a halt

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JakeS13, Jan 4, 2022.

1. JakeS13

JakeS13 Bit poster

Hi,
    I am running Parallels 15.1.5 to host a Windows 10 VM. I find that Windows will lock up and become unresponsive. This in turn grinds all behavior on my Mac to a halt -- my Mac apps will barely run, and even by bluetooth mouse and keyboard will stop responding!
    My only recourse is to power cycle my Mac, but when I try to open my VM back up, it takes upwards of 6-8 hours to resuscitate itself (massively slowing down the Mac in the process).
    My Mac has 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, with 72 GB of RAM. I do not understand why my Parallels VM failing is causing such drastic performance issues!
    I am experiencing this issue on Mac OS 12.0.1, but I also experienced it running Catalina periodically (monthly). On Monterey, this is the second day in a row!
    I recognize that Parallels 17 is the supported version for Monterey, but considering the same issue presented itself in Catalina, I'm not convinced upgrading the software would resolve the issue. (And *respectfully*, I do not want to spend more money on software that may not solve my issue).

How should I address this behavior?
    Thank you :)

2. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

This just started to become an issue for me recently as well. @JakeS13

3. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

darn it hit enter too soon! anyway...
    @JakeS13, check to see if time machine is doing a backup - this has caused issue(s) for me while running Parallels. I use a utility called Time Machine Editor (https://tclementdev.com/timemachineeditor/) to have a bit more control when I want it to make backups.

Recently I've been experiencing this on Parallels v 17.1.1 (51537) running WIndows 11. This happens when running VS & VS Code which or launching a browser, there is this "pause" where I can't do anything on the machine. It used to just occur at startup for a tiny bit - I figured it was possibly disk I/O & RAM maybe. But now it's doing it for apps. At this point, it's getting in the way of productivity and becoming quite annoying. It's like a nightmarish visit to the Windows 9X era.