M1 Parallels Windows ARM: Quickbooks & Quicken for Win10

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JohnG43, May 28, 2021.

1. adanguspf

adanguspf Member

I'm using the latest Win11 ARM beta under the latest Parallels v17. The computer is a fully loaded M1 MacBook Air. QB is the Premier subscription 2022 version configured for Retail. My production environment for QB is a Win10 platform on a VPS hosting service.

2. AbramU

AbramU Bit poster

Any luck with this? Running into the exact same issue here....

3. RichardG17

RichardG17 Member

I installed Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property on the retail version of Windows 11 arm64 under Parallels on a 14" Mac M1 Max. No errors during installation, and so far everything is working fine.

4. SamI3

SamI3 Bit poster

Nope Still Getting the same Error even after reinstalling Paraller 17 / windows Arm 11

5. HenryH14

HenryH14 Bit poster

I didn't think Win 11 arm64 has a retail version yet. Did you mean that you've installed it on the "Insider Preview" version?

6. GerhardG2

GerhardG2 Member

I have QBD 2020 Prem running without any problems on my M1 MBP with PD17.1.1 and W11 22523 prerelease. My QB company file is in a Mac folder, I also make all backups to a Mac folder.
    The only problem I have is, I cannot save an invoice or sales receipt as a pdf. Here I get an error that a component is missing and that I should run the QB Tools Hub. I did, ran the QB Print & PDF Repair Tool, which finished, but it did not resolve the problem.
    Did anybody have this problem as well and found a fix for it?

7. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit poster

did you ever get this resolved have the same exact issue

8. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I've got the same issue. I'm not sure what component is missing.

9. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit poster

additionally, I followed the thread with respect to re-installing Windows Print to PDF and cannot re-install it just stops. Originally, under optionfeatures.exe both were checked as installed and I unchecked them and rechecked them to no avail. gives me an error message there too.

I am at my wits end. I love ARM.

10. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I experienced some problems with Print to PDF early on, and they simply wouldn't go away. I tried diagnosing the problem with the help of Parallels Support and they suggested the following --
    ---------------------
    1. Run the virtual machine.
    2. Press CMD+R to open Windows Run menu, paste the following command:
    Control
    and hit return.
    3. Windows Control Center will open. Click Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers. Take a screenshot.
    4. Open the virtual machine's Configuration (https://kb.parallels.com/117287) > Hardware > Shared Printers and uncheck "Share Mac Printers with Windows".
    5. Wait for all shared printers (if there were any) to disappear.
    6. Go back to the virtual machine configuration, and re-enable shared printers. Wait for a few minutes. Take a screenshot. Restart the virtual machine.

If the "Print to PDF" printer doesn't reappear, collect an additional technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this e-mail together with the screenshots.
    ---------------------

The strange thing was that in the Control Center I could see additional devices that mapped to the printers connected to my Mac, but they were not presenting as "printers".

At that point I went back to basics. I created a new VM from scratch, knowing that I would have to reinstall the apps later. This fixed the problem! Somehow my Virtual Machine was corrupted in a manner that prevented me from getting shared printers, or Print to PDF to work. Starting with a fresh VM did the job.

I know this sounds like extra work, but before you waste any more time trying to fix the existing VM I suggest creating a new VM and see if the problem disappears.

11. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

Just curious @GerhardG2, you are in the Windows Insider developer channel, why are you not on a later release - there have been 7 releases since then, with 22567 out today? Even the Beta and Release Preview channels have later releases..

12. ScottTherrell

ScottTherrell Bit poster

Hi. I recently upgrade from QB2016 Pro to QB Premier Plus 2022. I need some help to make sure I am setting up my system correctly. I have our company QB Data file set up on my secretary's computer - Windows 10 on an Intel computer (not a Mac). Everything works, so far. My computer is a M1 Mac Mini with latest Monterey update.

When I need to run QB, I connect to the company file like this: From Finder > Go > Connect to server > select secretary's computer > select the QB shared folder. This mounts the QB Data folder to my desktop. I then launch Parallels and Quickbooks . I point QB to the company file and go about my business. Been doing this for many years with no issues.

My problem is this. After upgrading, QB Premier Plus 2022 will not connect to me company file. I get a gray folder icon with a red X on on. I have full access of the folder via File Explore. To the best of my knowledge, is QB Data Server is set up correctly on the host compute and the company file is toggled on for multi user.

Any suggest as to how to get QB to connect to the company file?

13. ScottTherrell

ScottTherrell Bit poster

14. KentA1

KentA1 Bit poster

I'm also trying to install QB (Enterprise) on M1 with Parallels 18 Windows 11 ARM. Also getting the 1904 error. Any luck? Suggestions?

15. MattP16

MattP16 Bit poster

Reporting on my trials with getting QB Desktop Pro Plus 2022 working on a Mac Studio M1 running 12.5.1 (21G83).

Started with the Parallels Desktop 18.0.0 trial and used its default Windows 11 Install. This will install a much older release of Windows 11 for ARM. Mine was release 22000 (which I'm guessing is presumed as "more stable")???

This resulted in a failed install of QB Desktop Pro Plus with a continual result of...

Error 1904 Module "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8\ClientiEntitlementClientBootstrap.dll" failed to register.

After hours and MANY MORE hours of messing around with UTM, trying a UUP dump, etc. I settled on signing up and trying Insider Preview and got the 22598 vhdx from Microsoft. I installed QB2022 within UTM and finally... SUCCESS for an install. The OS wanted to update the preview release and I decided to try things within Parallels. Came back to Parallels and installed the 22598 release and then it updated to 10.0.22621 Build 22621.

QB Desktop successfully installs... but, it has an issue when there is a network connection. If I disable the network to the VM, after successful activation, I can at least get into my QB file and work with it. For me, this situation is workable as I don't need a constant connection within the VM - YMMV.

Long story short. If you're trying to install QB2022 and doing it with the default version of Windows supplied by Parallels (as of the date of this post), it likely won't work. MS has inevitably made some updates which allows QB to install in the later builds. So, just sign up for InsiderPreview and create a new VM to get a successful install. As far as crashing with the network enabled, who knows when that will be fixed. I'm just glad I can use QB Desktop on this new Mac.

KentA1 likes this.
  16. LloydM

LloydM Bit poster

I was able to get Quickbooks 2022 to stabilize (not open and crash, but stay open) by updating 'Microsoft Visual C++' to 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2022 Redistribuatable (Arm64) - 14.32.31332, Setting the Compatibility setting on ARM emulation to "Safe emulation", as well as making sure Quickbooks is fully up to date.

However, I CANNOT get "Intuit Data Protect" to work at all on ARM. Seems the IBuEngHost simply crashes upon launch and quits responding, Quickbooks support could not figure it out and told me to build a new profile. (Note this does not work) I've deployed a serveral completely new instance of Windows 11 Ent (ARM) and Intuit Data Protect just fails to work. Any help would be appreciated

17. RobertN23

RobertN23 Bit poster

I'm puzzled with your statement that QuickBooks 2014 or earlier versions aren't supported by Windows 10. While that might be the official QuickBooks position, I'm currently running QuickBooks 2012 on a Windows 10/HP desktop and have been for several years - with NO issues. However, on my new iMac M1 running Ventura 13 with Parallels 18, I AM having an issue running QuickBooks 2012 in one of two Windows 10 ARM preview environments but not in the other! In the problem Windows 10 ARM preview environment, Windows won't allow me to install QuickBooks 2012 (says it's unsupported) even though the other identical Windows 10 ARM preview environment DID allow me to install it - and execute it with no issues! Any idea how to debug/fix this issue such that I can run QuickBooks 2012 in each of the two identical environments? (Why I need two environments is a long story for an other time)! Thx.