Why does Parallels take up so much disk space?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MathiasN1, Nov 7, 2017.

1. JohnH66

JohnH66 Junior Member

Having said all that it seems that Parallels agrees with me that I only have just < 4Gb of snapshots and not the 55Gb of .hds files

I wonder if Maria or somebody else from Parallels Support can explain why the snapshots folder in the PVM package is < 4Gb, the General Tab in Parallels Desktop shows < 4Gb of snapshots but I have more than 10 times that much (55Gb) of .hds files which Mr Google tells me are in fact snapshot files.

2. mmika

mmika Pro

What do you mean under "General Tab in Parallels Desktop shows < 4Gb". Could you share a screenshot, please.
    Those files in the snapshots folder in the PVM package are memory snapshots for VM.
    It contains only VM RAM state at the moment of snapshot. If you create snapshot for stopped VM, these files contain no RAM data and will be very small.
    But along with VM RAM state, snapshot of virtual HDD has also been taken. And those snapshots are in .hdd bundle, because it belongs to virtual disk.

3. JohnH66

JohnH66 Junior Member

In Parallels Desktop if you go to Actions Configure it shows you a bar chart with space usage under the General Tab.
    In the end I followed these instructions from another thread

1.) Free up disk space in Windows (use this article as a reference), shut Windows down and then reclaim disk space.
    2.) Disable 'SmartGuard'.
    3.) Launch Terminal (from the Finder menu, navigate to Go -> Utilities -> Terminal.app).
    4.) Copy the following command and paste it in Terminal as it is (do not hit 'Enter' yet): prl_disk_tool merge --hdd
    5.) Find your virtual machine on your Mac and ensure that there is a backup of this file available.
    6.) Drag the .hdd file and drop it inside the Terminal window (do not close the screen in which you see the .hdd file yet; keep it open).
    7.) In Terminal, you will now see an outcome similar to the following example (please note there should be a space between --hdd and /Users/Username...): prl_disk_tool merge --hdd /Users/Username/Documents/Parallels/Windows\ 7.pvm/Windows\ 7-0.hdd
    8.) Press 'Return' to start merging Snapshots (this process removes all snapshots, including hidden ones). (Important: Please wait till the operation completes; do NOT close the Terminal window before then.)
    9.) Once the operation finishes, close Terminal.
    10.) Now, go back to the window in which you saw the .hdd file. Move the folder 'Snapshots' and the file 'Snapshots.xml' to the Trash. Then close this window.

It took about an hour but I ended up with a pvm file that is 88Gb instead of the previous 130+ Gb.
    Alarmingly the available space on my hard drive shrunk from about 70Gb to about 20 Gb. After a momentary panic I remembered about local TM snapshots (I have two time machines, one off and one on site). I deleted these and I now have 140Gb free space and am much relieved.

4. FrancisB2

FrancisB2 Bit poster

I encounter the same issue. My .pvm file is 45 gig while I have almost no programmed installed on Windows. I don't have any Snapshots and SMartGuard is disabled. I followed JohnH66 steps but nothing happens in the terminal when I do the step #4. Thanks for your help...

5. JohnH66

JohnH66 Junior Member

Did you go past step 4 and add the path to the HDD in steps 5-8?

6. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

1. Steps 5 - 8 are about removing snapshots. Do these steps have an effect when one has no snapshots?
    2. I searched the Mac for "name matches hdd" and found two files:
    harddisk.hdd.drh (24 kb) and
    harddisk.hdd (4 bytes) (see screenshot - this file is "inside" one of the same name, that I can't open - not a folder)
    If I have a backup copy of the .pvm file, then I have these, right?

Attached Files:

7. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

Hi, I am now running Windows 10 on Parallels 17, and having the same problem. I think the following screenshot has the information you asked about:
    Can you help me free up space?
    I have no snapshots.
    "Reclaim disk space" freed up 0.7 GB.

Attached Files:

8. AlexandraA1

AlexandraA1 Bit poster

Use Finder and locate how many virtual machines (.pvm files) are saved on your Mac then check the size of each virtual machines. If you have multiple virtual machines, move the unused to an external drive or trash.

9. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

Thank you. I only have one .pvm file.

10. AlexandraA1

AlexandraA1 Bit poster

Did you go past step 4 and add the path to the HDD in steps 5-8?

11. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

As I have no snapshots, that appeared to be unnecessary.

12. hungamas

hungamas Bit poster

When I check every file in my C:\ disk in windows, I only use 32,6 GB. I'm aware that parallels itself take up disk space. But if I recall when first installing Parallels, It wasn't close to 38GB?

13. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

I've replaced my 64-bit Windows 10 with a 32-version, thinking that would take up less space. Currently the .pvm file is over 30 GB. I only use two low-volume programs in Windows, and keep all user data on the Mac.

14. RobinT4

RobinT4 Bit poster

Same issue here. 118GB used by Parallels, and only using Quickbooks. I have tried the posted above suggested use of Terminal several times. I copy and paste the first command, and then drop the Windows.hdd into the terminal command. I cannot seem to do part 7 above---" (please note there should be a space between --hdd and /Users/Username...)". There is no way for me to enter in a space between those commands. Perhaps as a result of this, when I hit enter in Terminal I get a very long worded Terminal read out (which I won't bother adding to this post), and, of course, no alleviation of the problem. Please advise

15. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

16. AQEELA2

AQEELA2 Junior Member

i am having the same issue, VM has taken my 1 TB SSD and in windows, its only 148gb, any help????

17. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

18. AQEELA2

AQEELA2 Junior Member

this is the ID : 438767933

19. AQEELA2

AQEELA2 Junior Member

Parallel team, it was me who was actually lost in numbers, there is no issue in parallel and the team has pointed me to the correct numbers.