iPhone will not connect through parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mediafly, Jun 30, 2007.

1. budjames

budjames Junior Member

iPhone not connecting to iTunes in Parallels

I have the exact same problem reported by others in this posting.

My "work" laptop is a MacBook Pro running Parallels 3.0 / Windows XP Pro to run my work applications which include ACT Premium (CRM), Office 2003, Outlook 2003 (for email client used by ACT).

Prior to buying the iPhone, I was using a Treo 700P (PalmOS) and this syched fine with the using CompanionLink Pro to sych contacts and calendars in both directions with ACT.

I tried the posted suggestion and now my Parallels/WinXP/iTunes can connect to my iPhone and sync as expected. Thanks for a great workaround until the bug is fixed in Parallels.

Bud James
    North Wales, PA

2. juan9999

juan9999 Bit poster

The workaround (on parallels 3, in window mode, using boot camp partition running xp) only works sometimes and gets itunes to recognize the iphone but syncing does not work...

Works fine when I boot natively.

HELP!

3. wsewell

wsewell Bit poster

Sync on Two Computers

I still don't know if this works on two different OSes (i.e. Mac and Windows) but you CAN sync your iPhone business stuff (email,contacts,calendar) with one computer and entertainment stuff (music,videos,photos) on another computer. I'd love to hear from someone who's tried it cross-platform so I could decide to upgrade my Mac to Tiger and stop using Windows at home. Here's a blog entry I wrote on the subject.

http://westonshead.blogspot.com/2007/07/iphone-sync-with-multiple-computers.html

(Sorry to invade your thread, I was searching for iPhone support through Parallels on Linux which is my second-choice option for putting music onto my iPhone).

4. Ken Riopelle

Ken Riopelle Bit poster

This worked for me!

5. mediafly

mediafly Bit poster

work-around sync only works sometimes (parallels or itunes problem?)

Using the restart services work around I am but I continue to have problems with the syncs. I have to start and stop many times before a sync is completed successfully. iTunes continues to read "syncing myiPhone"...

Is this a parallels problem or itunes problem.

I am using windows mode. latest release of parallels. windows xp guest os. outlook for contacts and calendar (but i still have the failed syncs when no outlook sync options are selected).

Any suggestions?

6. lozano

lozano Junior Member

Ok olddirtyme worked for me as well (in Coherence mode, btw). Outlook 2007, PD 4128, mbpro 3gb.

Thank you so much for posting this work-around - my wife will be glad to have her machine at home back! (I'd commandeered it for my calendar / contacts sync).

7. lozano

lozano Junior Member

Cross-platform, multi-os instance itunes sync works

This is precisely what most people on this thread are now able to do (with the restart two services in windows workaround), with the addition of doing it on the same physical machine. I am syncing media with itunes on osx, and contacts / calendars with itunes, outlook 2007 on xp (in a parallels instance). Works great.

Prior to the workaround I was having to use a physically different xp machine (my wife's) to run the itunes / outlook / xp sync, with my osx machine doing the media sync - it worked perfectly fine (albiet rather slow, especially the first time).

8. mediarite

mediarite Bit poster

Out of the blue, this fix stopped working for me. Is it still working for others?
    iTunes, in Windows, says that it's syncing, but it just hangs up and doesn't actually sync.

9. budjames

budjames Junior Member

I'm synching my iPod with iTunes WinXP for Outlook contacts, calendars and mail and iTunes OSX for everything else.

The restart Apple device service suggestion works good, but I still have a lot of Outlook crashing due to conflicts with the iTunes WinXP addins for Outlook. I have to keep restarting a few times to get Outlook to start properly.

I'm using Companionlink Pro to sync ACT! (my main CRM and calendar app) with Outlook so that I can use Outlook to sync to my iPhone. A bit cumbersome, but it works most of the time.

If I could do away with Outlook altogether, I would be a very happy person.

Bud James
    MacBook Pro 15" 3GB, 160GB HD. Parallels and WinXP Pro.

10. mediarite

mediarite Bit poster

Not sure what was up yesterday, but the workaround is working for me again today. Outlook is weird.

11. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

Finally got sync to work

I finally got a full sync between Outlook and iPhone to work. Although the process of discovery was multi-day and frustrating to put it mildly, thanks to this forum and several others, I pulled together several fixes that finally got things working.

The following were done to Outlook

1) I upgraded to Outlook 2007.

2) I exported my Outlook .pst file to another .pst file and then renamed the second .pst to the original name and location. I found that the exporting and renaming cleared up the Outlook iTunes Sync Add-in crash issue.

3) To get the iTunes Outlook Add-in to stay activated, I had to go into Outlook 2007 macro security and disable that feature as it was killing the add-in as it thought is was not from a recognized source.

4) I discovered that in XP device manager, under USB Controllers, the iPhone was showing up as Apple iPhone. As I was having problems with iTune seeing the iPhone, I uninstalled that one entry and did a reboot. This time, the iPhone showed up as Apple Mobile Device USB driver AND iTunes instantly saw the iPhone. iTunes had previously seen the iPhone, but at some point in my trials getting sync to work, I remember that XP indicating finding new hardware and one of the items was the iPhone. If iTunes stops seeing the iPhone, check for this issue.

5) Restart the two iTunes add-in services

One thing that still does not work is that iTunes will not automatically startup when the iPhone is plugged in (ie as it does in OSX). I have also determined that I need to start Outlook manually before the sync as iTunes does not seem able to find the .pst file otherwise. I discovered this on my final unsuccessful sync attempt, when with everything else appearing to work (ie Outlook add-ins up and running, iTunes sees iPhone, sync started, iPhone indicating that it was sync, BUT 15 minutes later, nothing had changed. I manually stopped the sync and started over, starting with a reboot. This time I started up Outlook, then iTunes, then plugged in the iPhone and started the sync. It only took a couple of minutes for everything to sync. It happened so fast, I doubted that a sync had actually happened, but on checking contacts and calendar on the iPhone, I found that indeed the sync had occurred.

I have verified that changes on the iPhone are reflected back to Outlook on the next sync.
    :)

12. swich2mac

swich2mac Junior Member

Mediarite, mine is doing the exact same thing!

13. CassieW

CassieW Bit poster

Has anyone tried Build 5060? It is supposedly supposed to fix this problem, among other things. I am new to parallels and hesitant to beta test for them, but I'm dying to get the iPhone to be more than a cool mapping device for $600. I believe I've tried everything listed so far with no luck.

14. CassieW

CassieW Bit poster

THANK YOU, build 5060 seems to fix the iPhone problem! :)

15. swich2mac

swich2mac Junior Member

It didn't work for me. The only thing that seemed to work is now I can launch iTunes and it sees the iPhone without having to perform a restart of the apple and iPod services. When I try to sync with outlook 2003, it just hangs on the sync notification within iTunes. I have uninstalled iTunes, reinstalled iTunes, ran the Outlook detect & repair utility, disabled and re-enabled the COM plug-ins.... Nothing. However, I can sync on my Dell latitude with no issues whatsoever. Anyone?

16. dfbills

dfbills Junior Member

working

The solution posted by olddirtyme worked, but I had to restart the services twice for some reason.

Using Parallels 3.0 build 5540, iTunes 7.4.1.2, Outlook 2003 on Windows XP SP2.

17. dfbills

dfbills Junior Member

Any word on whether or not today's 5570 update fixes this?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  18. LarryA

LarryA Bit poster

iphone back up hangs in itunes with Build 5060.

I got the iphone to sync with itunes: music, photos, Outlook 03 Contact, Outlook 03 calledars. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Went on vacation for a few days, came back to do the deed again and what do you know, the darn thing hangs.

I've tried everything, reinstall itunes, reinstall the add-in .dll for itunes in outlook. Device Manager looks normal (apple iphone shows up under imaging devices, apple mobile device usb driver shows up under usb bus controler...)

I even tried restoring the iphone to fac default using itunes. it's stuck at backing up "iphone".... and get no further.

Any suggestions?

19. LarryA

LarryA Bit poster

i meant build 5160

20. budjames

budjames Junior Member

I'm using the 5540 beta, all is okay with iPhone

I'm using the 5540 beta Parallels and my iPhone syncs fine with iTunes in WinXP.

Bud