„Use Windows from Boot Camp" - Alternative/Solution on macOS Monterey

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Anna_2, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Anna_2

Anna_2 Bit poster

Hello ! 

After upgrading to macOS Monterey and starting Parallels 16.5 I was not able to use/connect my - already installed and with previous macOS-versions used - Bootcamp-Partition because the Parallels Installation Assistant did not show the option „Use Windows from Boot Camp" like it traditionally did. 
This issue with Monterey and Intel-based Macs is already documented and there is no (official) workaround listed.

However I found a small guide to connect a Bootcamp-Partition to Parallels without choosing the mentioned option on the Installation Assistant:

https://kb.parallels.com/112941

The problem with this was, that at the last step I did not know which file to choose as the „Source-File" for the installation. When I simply tried to select the entire Bootcamp-Disc-Partition I could not continue. 
Another thing that seemed not ok to me was that before I could go to select the „Source-File" I got the information that about 17GB of my disc-space would be needed. Since I already used Parallels with the Bootcamp-Partition before the Upgrade to Monterey plus the fact that I actually already have a working Bootcamp-Partition, I should normally not need any additional space or files, at least that's what I thought.

Has anyone had the same problem or could propose a solution ?

Thanks in advance for any answer !

2. JWSD

JWSD Bit poster

Same here with Monterey and P17. It used to work in Big Sur. I cannot see Bootcamp partition in "Source:" in Hard Disk options, and also cannot create a new instance from Installation Assistant against Bootcamp partition.

3. HCLin

HCLin Bit poster

I have the same problem that I can't see the option "Use Windows from Boot Camp" on Parallels 16.5.1 and Monterey either. My situation in the original post for the alternative of solution is also the same.

4. laembert

laembert Bit poster

Same problem, Monterey and P17, cannot create vm from bootcamp parrtition.

5. HCLin

HCLin Bit poster

The problem still remains with Parallels 17. The option "Use Windows from Boot Camp" is still missing.

6. Hi, we've already involved Parallels Engineering Team in this case.
    Once we get any updates we will let you know immediately.

nick31 likes this.
  7. Also could you collect the technical report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?

nick31 likes this.
  8. nick31

nick31 Bit poster

Report ID: 383544494 - Experiencing this same issue. I have a MacBook Pro running Monterey and Parallels has always worked fine with that Boot Camp + Windows 10 setup. Got a 2020 iMac, updated it to Monterey, and used Migration Assistant to get everything from that MacBook Pro copied over. Obviously that doesn't include the Boot Camp partition. I did a Right Click > Remove of the old Windows 10 VM. I installed Windows via Boot Camp on the new iMac. When that was all up and running I booted back to macOS and attempted to create a VM in Parallels using the fresh Boot Camp install. Boot Camp is not listed as an option, nor does it appear as a Hard Disk source when following the "Continue without a source" path.

9. TraetonG

TraetonG Bit poster

I am also experiencing this same issue of Bootcamp not appearing as an option in Parallels (17.1.0). This comes after a fresh format and install of Monterey 12.01, fresh Bootcamp/Windows 10 install and being able to boot between Mac OS and Windows, and a lastly a new install of Parallels 17.1.0

10. nick31

nick31 Bit poster

Any updates on this?

11. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we have escalated the issue to the Development Team and they are working to address it in one of the future builds of Parallels Desktop for Mac.
    To enable automatic updates, from the Parallels Desktop Menu, select Preferences > General > Download Updates Automatically. Thanks, Parallels Team.

12. Hello guys, the newest Parallels Desktop 17.1.1 update has been released recently.
    And it resolves a USB devices connectivity issue.
    Please check the issue and let us know the results.

13. JohnT36

JohnT36 Bit poster

Updating to the latest version worked for me.

14. TraetonG

TraetonG Bit poster

The 17.1.1 update restored the ability to create a virtual machine from my Boot Camp partition.
    Thank you!!!

15. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

hi, we are happy to hear your issue has been fixed. Please reach us back for any further queries.

16. nick31

nick31 Bit poster

Checking in to say the issue is also resolved for me, thanks

17. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

hi, we appreciate your response.

18. DirkA2

DirkA2 Bit poster

I have a similar problem.
    Yesterday updated from Mac OS 10.15 to 11.6.4. This morning I found out my Parallels (13) no longer functions and therefore bought a Parallels 17 license.
    Now it will not open my 'my bootcamp' VM because of "The Boot Camp partition used by Hard Disk 1 is missing."
    My Bootcamp runs of a eSSD connected through usb. It has functioned like this for years but now it does not.
    Bootcamp still boots fine so nothing is wrong with the connection or the files on the drive.

Please help me fix my parallels!

19. JonahW1

JonahW1 Bit poster

Hi All, I am here to say that I am running into the same issue. I used to use my imac with bootcamp partition and use parallels to log into it if I wanted to use both at same time. Had to reformat drive, restored my mac, restored the bootcamp partition and can log in. Removed the old parallels as the restore was a new partition. When I went to set up, there is no longer an option to utilize bootcamp partition. So I tried this, which was sent twice and the only solution that facebook tech could offer over 2 weeks and twitter sent the same link (https://kb.parallels.com/112941). The problem is that I am not offered my bootcamp drive from the drop down as indicated in the guide. I am able to boot into my bootcamp on restart no problem. I just can not set up parallels using it. Would love some help that takes 2 weeks for someone to just send the above article over and over again.

20. DanM20

DanM20 Bit poster

Issue has now developed again with the latest Mac OS update and Parallels 18. Can no longer re-add bootcamp partition. keep getting the issue of hard disk not found, and no way to add it back.