Running Visual Studio 2019 on Windows 11 on M1 Mac ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by HalilD, Oct 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. HalilD

HalilD Bit poster

Is this possible ? I am currently running Visual Studio 2019 (Xamarin.Forms application for UWP) on Windows 11 hosted on an Intel MacBook Pro. Can I do the same on an M1 Mac (i.e. either the M1 Mac Mini or the new M1Max MacBook Pro) running Windows 11 ARM ?

2. PedroS7

PedroS7 Junior Member

You can, but it's very slow.

3. HalilD

HalilD Bit poster

What about the Visual Studio 2022 RC ? Has anyone tried that ?

4. PedroS7

PedroS7 Junior Member

Same thing.

5. JeffN8

JeffN8 Bit poster

Is this any worse than on an i9 MacBook though? Trying to evaluate if the new M1 16 inch is worth the upgrade, but VS in Parallels is a must for me.

6. HalilD

HalilD Bit poster

Same here. VS in Parallels on an Intel MacBookPro with 32 Gb memory is very fast for me. And I want to buy one of the new M1Max laptops but I am worried about moving the VS 2019 over. Anyone else with experience on this ?

7. JorgenL

JorgenL Bit poster

I have a MBP 2018 Intel i9 for developing in VM to run Windows and Visualstudio, i plan to keep it for testing different OS when i try Installation scripts since the ARM beta only is available as Windows 11.
    I am hoping that i can run VS2019/22 in Arm with Win11, so i ordered the M1Max 16" today and waiting for delivery late november.
    My only concern is if MS decides to drop Win for ARM and not publish it to MSDN or public release.. Worth the risk ?, otrherwise i have god laptop for my hobbies with FinalCut and Photoshop..
    ..Jorgen

8. JorgenL

JorgenL Bit poster

Have tested VS2019 in my M1Max now. I develop a Winforms applikation targeting x86/x64 Intel with .Net Framework 4.8 and using Activereports 15 and Accessdatabase Engine 2016. It works fine and i can debug and run when I compile it with "Prefer 32-bit" flag activated. But in x64 mode i can run the applikation, but are not able to debug it..
    Have not successfully installed SQL server 2019 in VM but i can run my app with ACCDB database instead.
    Also tried to run Installshield 2020 and compiled msi script without any problem.
    And yes, it is slow to run VS2019. But compared to my old MBP 2018 running in VM it is about the same performance.
    The big difference is that the M1 does not spin up fans while debug and does not get warm as my old MBP :)
    ..Jorgen

9. WZ_1

WZ_1 Junior Member

My tests of compiling C++ projects using Visual studio 2017, 2019, and 2022 in Windows 11 arm64 with Parallels 17.1 on M1 Pro.
    x86: compiling / debugging was fine on all versions.
    x64:
    VS 2017 cannot even start the debugger - complaining about debugging an ARM64 exe however my project is aiming for x64.
    VS 2019 can start the debugger but can't show variable values correctly.
    VS 2022 debugging works fine so far.
    Speed wise the GUI responsiveness is similar to my VS 2017 running in Parallels on a 2016 Macbook Pro.

JorgenL likes this.
  10. WZ_1

WZ_1 Junior Member

I have to update on VS 2022 debugging issue:
    Debugging C++ x86/x64 on a standalone VS 2022 installation did not work. It worked only when both VS 2019 and 2022 installed. I've submitted a bug report to Microsoft.

11. MrTea

MrTea Bit poster

As far as I'm aware, IIS is also missing on the ARM install of Windows 11. It won't stop you running Visual Studio or installing SQL Server (which I managed in the end after jumping through some hoops) but it was a deal breaker for me.

12. HalilD

HalilD Bit poster

My update: I am successfully running Visual Studio 2022 Community edition on Windows 11 running on Parallels latest version running on M1 Pro. Editing and Github operations are no problem for a pretty large Xamarin Forms UWP app targeting x64 though build times are horrible compared to same setup on an Intel MacBookPro. The fun begins when I try to target ARM64 Windows 11. I have not been able to successful on that yet.

13. WZ_1

WZ_1 Junior Member

VS 2022 debugger randomly hangs when debugging mixed c# and c++ x86 projects. Debugging x64 appears to be fine.

14. NielsC1

NielsC1 Bit poster

Just installed parallels and VS on my new MBP 2021 M1Max with 64 GB ram etc... I tried to work on it today but I gave up after a few hours and reverted back to my MBP 2015. VS warns on installing that it might be unstable on ARM, "Use only when needed" it says (when else would I use it?). I get error messages when trying to debug some web api's. So until now VS on parallels on a MBP 2021 M1 is slow, limited and unstable, not worth the upgrade. I will give it one more try later this week, if not satisfied I will return my MBP. This article explains more details about running VS on ARM which is essentially what you get when using Parallels on M1: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/visual-studio-on-arm-devices?view=vs-2022

15. NielsC1

NielsC1 Bit poster

16. WZ_1

WZ_1 Junior Member

A quick performance test of a personal c++ x64 project which only uses a single score:
    x64 emulation: about 10-30% slower than on my 2016 Macbook pro Intel
    native ARM64EC: about 2-3x faster than on my 2016 Macbook pro Intel
    So I would estimate that the x64 emulation reduces performance by about 50%.

17. Dom5

Dom5 Bit poster

Does anyone know if support for this is planned... *eventually*? I found this very surprising, many developers use parallels solely for VS on windows. I honestly wouldn't have purchased parallels for this machine had I known this ahead of time. Very unfortunate that I have to revert back to my previous MacBook if I was to use VS. The new VS for mac is a large improvement over the previous version but it still doesn't even come close to its Windows counterpart.

18. WZ_1

WZ_1 Junior Member

19. Dom5

Dom5 Bit poster

Wow now that is a long thread with a lot of push behind it. I wasn't aware that the surface pro also suffers the same fate. That one really surprises me, seems that a "pro" machine should be able to properly run VS. I do understand the massive lift it must be to port that software over though. It seems they understand the need for this support and have some sense of prioritization, which is comforting. I guess we will just have to wait patiently and let the talent over at Microsoft do their thing.

20. DeepakarR

DeepakarR Bit poster

Can you tell me how you installed SQL Server?