Win7 on Parallels 6 display driver crashing constantly

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BruceLynn, Sep 8, 2020.

1. BruceLynn

BruceLynn Bit poster

The display driver in my Win7 VM on Parallels 16 is crashing constantly (every hour) requiring a reboot. I cannot find any posts on the web providing help or guidance on Win7 VM on Parallels 16. In fact, I am having trouble just finding any articles on doing Graphics (which has a different set of option in Parallels 16) optimisation at al for v16.

Can anyone point me to (a) help on display driver crashing in Win7 on P16, or (b) articles on P16 Graphics optimisation?

2. BruceLynn

BruceLynn Bit poster

Apologies "Parallels 16 display driver"

3. BruceLynn

BruceLynn Bit poster

Also, EVERY time I shut the lid to my MacBook Pro, the display driver crashes.

4. Willis43

Willis43 Bit poster

i have a similar issue that started after i ran the v16.1.x update. Also don't see much posted by others struggling with similar issues.

After the update, my Windows 7 virtual machine started to have frequent recurring errors related to the VM display driver. Error message is "Display driver Parallels 16.1.2 stopped working and has successfully recovered." Each time the error occurs, the VM pauses, screen flashes as if restarting something, and I get the error message. I've also had one Windows 'blue screen of death' forced restart. It happens quite frequently, sometimes only a few minutes apart. I've reinstalled Parallels tools (where I've read the driver resides) have disabled the driver in Windows control panel and restarted Windows to reinstall, rebooted the machine multiple times, etc. but the error keeps recurring. I had some significant issues after installing 16.1.x Parallels upgrade a few weeks ago. (Could not open / run Parallels after the upgrade.) Display driver problem started after that upgrade. I've reached out to Parallels Support, but have not received any solution yet.

5. PattyB

PattyB Bit poster

Does anybody ever reply to these questions?

6. Willis43

Willis43 Bit poster

If you get a reply, it usually comes from users who've discovered a solution.

In my case (posted above) I had multiple conversations with Parallels tech support, who patiently (but unsuccessfully) tried a variety of approaches to solve the problem. At the end of the effort, they said the issue would be 'escalated' which apparently means it remains unresolved on my laptop, but goes on a list of identified issues to be considered during downstream software improvements.

So I had to solve my problem by upgrading my Windows 7 VM OS to Windows 10. I haven't had the problem since I did the OS upgrade.

Hope that helps.

7. NEIL REIFF

NEIL REIFF Member

ME TOO!!!

8. SynapticL

SynapticL Bit poster

I have this exact same blue-screen-of-death problem re the Windows 7 parallel graphics driver when using Coherence Mode in Parallels Desktop 18.0.2 (53077).... Why hasn't this been fixed!!!!!!! One of the whole purpose of virtual machines is enable legacy operating systems to be run in a sandbox to limit network traffic in/out (security risk minimisation) and continue using old systems that simply don't support newer version of Windows. Please fix this graphics issue. its a real problem.