Can Microsoft stop the Win 11 ARM installed via Parallels from working?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JerryG, Mar 31, 2022.

1. JerryG

JerryG Member

Installed Win 11 ARM via Parallels on Studio Ultra and it's working very well. I already had a Windows 11 key.

I don't know where the Win 11 comes from or if it's a release version, etc. The question/concern is if it's possible for Microsoft to invalidate Win 11 ARM on VMs or other non OEM computers with a future update so that they don't run. Can we be comfortable thinking that even if there is no official "retail" ARM version in the future, the Win 11 installed by Parallels will continue to work?

Sorry if this sounds silly, but it is a concern given that there is no official "retail" version of Win 11 ARM.

Thanks

2. JerryG

JerryG Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I agree with you. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

BTW, I've read many of your posts and really appreciate your knowledge and insights.

MichaelH63 likes this.
  3. HessaA

HessaA Bit poster

Hi JerryG,
    I'm getting my Mac studio ultra in a week and i am coming from iMAC (2015 release) so this will be a huge leap for me since i have always installed my windows on a separate partition and only boot macOS in case of updates but primarily use Windows. So i am very curious in your experience on parallels on mac studio? What programs are you using that you did not have problem with (Internet browsers, Video playing, editing, etc) and more importantly, which programs DID NOT work.
    Thanks in advance.

4. JerryG

JerryG Member

The Studio Ultra with Parallels 1.7.12 and Win 11 ARM are working beautifully for my needs.

I don't love Windows, but I have to have it to run a very complex program for work that utilizes a Phillips SpeechMike for dictation. The SpeechMike had various problems with VMWare and previous early versions of Win 10 ARM. But it's working perfectly with above combo.

Another program is one that allows me to program and download to a universal remote control.

There is really nothing else that I've tried on Windows 11 ARM.

Major kudos to Parallels for this accomplishment.

5. VineRider

VineRider Bit poster

I tried opening a support case with Parallels to find out the download link and no one was able to provide specific information on where the download is coming from. All they said was that it was coming from Microsoft but they would not (after repeated requests) provide any technical details on where the download is actually coming from.

Contrast this with the information provided on the MacOS installation assistant, it shows via a KB article where the download URL is pointing:
    https://kb.parallels.com/125561

Very frustrating and it does make you wonder why there is no transparency on where the Win11 installation files are originating from.

6. Don Awalt

Don Awalt Hunter

@VineRider, this interests me too. But once we install Win 11 ARM on Parallels, at that point the normal Windows Update, and 3 channels of Windows Insider (Release Preview, Developer, and Beta) all work perfectly and have for some time. So in my case, I am running identical binaries to other users who received OEM versions of Windows ARM, plus I have a license. Isn't that protection?

7. VineRider

VineRider Bit poster

It does seem to be a legitimate copy of Win11, as it does activate and there is a command that validates if the copy is genuine:
    From https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/67530/is-my-windows-10-is-genuine.html

Activated does not always mean Genuine. Activation and genuine are two separate processes
    open an Elevated CMD prompt
    Run Licensingdiag.exe
    this will generate a cab
    Open the cab file Using explorer ( click on it in explorer, it should open.
    Extract the SPPDiagReport.xml
    Look for this line: <LocalGenuineState>SL_GEN_STATE_IS_GENUINE</LocalGenuineState>

That will tell you if the machine is Genuine.

This command did validate that my copy was genuine, so I think the installations files are legit, but I just wonder why Parallels is not forthcoming on the download location they are getting the files from at Microsoft. Thanks for the response!