Folders becoming hidden in 5160

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by alljosp, Sep 14, 2007.

1. alljosp

alljosp Bit poster

I set up 5160 today and it works fine. BUT, I've now noticed that my home folder under users and another folder that was shared with windows have both now become hidden. They don't show up in Finder (unless I use tinkertool to show hidden files). Interestingly, I've got them in the sidebar in finder, and they are fine there, and I can operate on them, but, for example, under \users\ my home directory does not appear.

Any thoughts on how to recover from this. I've tried turning off sharing and mirroring and shutting down parallels to no avail.
    Thanks!

2. jrw42

jrw42 Bit poster

I noticed the same thing after installing 5160. This makes accessing the home folder from my other macs over the network impossible. Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks

3. alljosp

alljosp Bit poster

No ideas yet. I just switched to a mac from pc's last month so am new to this. Repairing disk permissions sounds worth considering but for now I'm just going to hope Parallels comes up with something. Thanks for the reply.

4. tclayton

tclayton Bit poster

I am also seeing this issue. There are a couple of ways to at least address this on a one-off basis (Parallels keeps switching the folder back to invisible).

To make the folder visible again (requires Developer tools to be installed):
    1. Type the command: /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a v /path/to/shared/folder

Also, when you try to browse to the folder in OS X, if you search for it, then it still will come up even though you don't see it in the list.

5. alljosp

alljosp Bit poster

developer tools?

Forgive me if this is naive, but I'm new to both macs and parallels.
    Is developer tools an OS X thing or a parallels thing?

And, could you provide just a hint about how I'd go about installing them assuming they aren't.

THanks much for your answer.

6. tclayton

tclayton Bit poster

The developer tools are on your OS X install dvd usually. You can also download them from Apple's site (http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/). Just run the installer and you are good to go.

7. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

Shared Folder Vanishing

I'm experiencing this same issue with 5160. My "Shared Folder" keeps vanishing from my OS X desktop. It won't come back if I disable and then re-enable it.

Also, my alias for "Windows Vista" on my OS X desktop has disappeared twice. I have to recreate it....

Is there a way to recreate the "Shared Folder" on my OS X desktop without using dev tools?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  8. tclayton

tclayton Bit poster

There is no direct interface in OS X for managing the invisible/visible bit (that I am aware of at least). If you don't want to deal with the developer tools/terminal, you can use a program like XRay (http://www.brockerhoff.net/xray/) instead.

9. cpawilcoxson

cpawilcoxson Bit poster

Same issue

I'm an admin in a school and our high school lab is starting to experience this issue also. The instructor for the lab noticed it first on hers, then some of the student machines are starting this. I'll try that command line thing - maybe someone could put together an applescript that could run when the student logs in? Then the folder would be made visible again automatically, rather than having to type it into Terminal every time.

10. tjschuh

tjschuh Bit poster

Folders hidden in 5160

I wonder if it is more than hiding the folder. I have the mac/parallels shared folder in a partition on my hard drive. There are two other folders in this partition also. Since experiencing this problem the Apple backup program fails to back up the partition (has successfully backed partition up for months). The only hint of what is going on is that the backup log states there is nothing to back up. This makes me wonder if something has been damaged in the partition. Has anyone else experienced something similar??

PS: Verifying permissions does not solve anything

11. endemion

endemion Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue with an iMac and a MacBook Pro both running 5160 build of Parallels.

12. alljosp

alljosp Bit poster

I found that changing the "visible/invisible' bit using Xray (see link above) back to visible solved the problem. I also turned off the feature which lets windows and mac share desktops and mydocuments folders...which I suspect was related to the problem. Since then, I've had no further problems.

13. toadkicker

toadkicker Bit poster

I know this sounds like one of those, well duh things....

I simply made an alias to the missing disk. So go to the /Volumes folder and grab an alias of the missing disk and throw it on the desktop. It ain't pretty but it work until Parallels get is head out of its @$$.

14. rdean

rdean Member

Hey Parallells Team, this sounds like a major problem. I know it is really causing me headaches. Is there really no solution to this problem yet?

15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Thank you for the reports. Parallels team is investigating the issue. We'll probably need some additional information to reproduce it. I'll keep you informed. Please sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
    Xenos

16. rdean

rdean Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Xenos,

Thank for the quick reply, please let us know what kind of additional information you need. My problem is pretty much like everyone else's. The Mac Folder that I share to my Parallels VM becomes invisible on my Mac. I am not sure when it happens. I can see it right about I start the VM but some time while it is running the folder disappears. Luckily the folder and data is still there it is just not viewable in the Finder.

Thanks again,
    Richard

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

rdean, thank you very much for being ready to help. The bug is hard to reproduce, however Parallels developers say it is fixed in the last beta versions and will not come up in the next build.

Best regards,
    Xenos

18. rdean

rdean Member

Great. Thanks again for the quick response.

19. Azbuckeyeracer

Azbuckeyeracer Junior Member

My iMac with PD5160 had this invisible folder issue. Via Terminal, I could see the folder existed, but it would never appear in Finder. I copied all my contents of that folder to a storage drive (firewire). I then deleted the folder (using the rm command). When I created my new/replacement folder, I gave it a name of Abcde, using a capital letter for the first character. Now it does not disappear. Is this a workaround, sure, is it a big deal, well, not to me!

20. tclayton

tclayton Bit poster

What is your proposed workaround? The fact that the folder has a capital letter? If so, that does not fix the problem. My shared folders have always started in a capital letter. It sounds like there is a fix in the next version from the post above so it sounds like we are ok.