Attaching USB devices to macOS switches to Windows VM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ChristophK2, Feb 13, 2022.

1. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

(Windows 10 VM, BigSur, Parallels 17.1.1)

'm wondering why that is: when I insert a USB device, then I'm presented the chooser whether I want to attach it to
    the Mac or the Windows VM.

When I choose to attach it to macOS I would expect that all is fine and I stay in the macOS screen. Instead I'm directed to the Windows 10 screen for no reason. I then have to switch back to the macOS screen. Why is that superfluous screen switching?

2. ChristophK2

ChristophK2 Hunter

Could someone please comment? The issue is annoying. Why does the screen switch to the Windows VM while the USB Device isn't attached to WIndows but to macOS?

Why do I have to go this extra round to switch back from Windos to macOS?

3. MaguedB

MaguedB Junior Member

I'm also seeing the same issue. When I insert a USB device (while on Mac screen) and choose to connect it to Mac, I get switched to the VM screen (if the VM is in full-screen mode) If the VM is displayed as a window, the VM window automatically becomes the top window and have focus. It's really annoying.
    My machine is M1 Monterey 12.4 and Parallels windows 11, version 17.1.2

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please refer to this KB article for resolving the issue.

5. PeterT33

PeterT33 Bit poster

The situation is not that the USB device connects automatically to the VM as your solution is intended for. We were presented by the choice of which to connect, after connecting to MAC, the MAC desktop should be the active one, but the WIN VM becomes active instead, and we have to change back to MAC desktop to proceed with our work which in annoying, any other suggestions?

6. MaguedB

MaguedB Junior Member

Any solution for this? It's more than a year since the original post.
    The problem is: Attaching a new USB device and selecting to connect it to either Mac or VM always switches the desktop to the VM and we have to switch back to Mac desktop to continue work.

7. Gianmarco1

Gianmarco1 Bit poster

Hi, I have the same annoying issue. If I select to connect the new device to the Mac why am I moved to the VM screen?

8. MaguedB

MaguedB Junior Member

When parallels is in full-screen mode, I found that if the Control Center window is visible (Parallels menu -> control center) then this issue doesn't happen. After you select to connect a device to either Mac or Windows, the focus will shift to the Control Center menu and will remain in Mac Desktop.