Parallels 2.1 won't update on Leopard. Help!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mmollison, Nov 28, 2007.

1. mmollison

mmollison Bit poster

SETUP:
    I have a copy of Parallels Desktop 2.1 (build 1848.2) on CD that I purchased a while ago from my university's bookstore. I just installed it on my new 2.4GHz iMac (4GB RAM, 300GB HD), which is running 10.5 (i.e., starting out on a clean system install). I am not using Boot Camp.

PROBLEM:
    I installed and opened Parallels Desktop and activated the product successfully, but when I try to have the app check for updates (as I've successfully done in the past) the download progress bar remains idle.

QUESTION 1 (update):
    Is this a bug with Leopard? Will it be fixed? How am I supposed to update when Parallels does not offer the update downloads on their site?

QUESTION 2 (incompatible):
    Also, there are many GUI bugs occurring with this old version under Leopard as well (e.g., colors of tabs and other assorted interface objects are out of whack, buttons blink). Is Parallels 2.x even compatible with 10.5?

QUESTION 3 (upgrade):
    If I purchase a Parallels Desktop 3.x upgrade, can I install the upgrade on top of the activated 2.x (the one that won't check for updates)?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  2. jezter

jezter Bit poster

Parallels 2.0 doesn't work with Leopard so you have to upgrade to 3.0 for $49 which I did too. Trouble is 3.0 is still pretty broken with Leopard and I cannot get an internet connection and it is therefore completely useless to me! So far it's been a complete waste of money!

3. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

I'm currently using PD build 3214 with Tiger 10.4.11. No problems (except I was just informed that my Kaspersky antivirus was a trial requiring another payment - nice if I was told that up front).

But after another month or so (and a couple more Leopard updates), I plan to install Leopard on my iMac. At which time I will definitely move to VMware Fusion.

All the Apple geniuses at the Apple stores around here are suggesting this.

4. timdorr

timdorr Bit poster

5. markmat

markmat Bit poster

Except that I don't think that helps those of us with licences from before v3.0.

I've just upgraded to Leopard and have discovered the same problem, so Parallels has just stopped working for me basically.

6. timdorr

timdorr Bit poster

Hmm, I was trying to reply to jezter's comment and I assume it would quote him. But yeah, 2.0 is simply not 10.5-compatible. You've gotta upgrade to use it. And right now 3.0 works sorta and 3.2 is assumed to be Leopard-compatible