Can't create ISO images

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Andre Dupont, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Andre Dupont

Andre Dupont Bit poster

OK i tried it all... all possible ways to get an application into windows. No network on my imac, no way to mount a USB stick, cant get a physical CD to mount and my last hope, connect a disk imag.
    But it doesnt work, Disk Utillity doesnt give the option for creating a cd/dvd master, aldo I can convert a dmg to a master disk but that doesnt work. Using freedmg to make a master disk and renaming it ISO also doesnt work.
    Pleas all help appreciated, until now there is no way IN or OUT for data, so useless unless i want to play minesweeper :)

2. pipo

pipo Bit poster

use toast

I had the same problem, until I used toast 7 to make a bare bones iso 9660 image:

-under the 'data' tab, select 'iso 9660' in the pane on the left
    -drop your files
    -click 'select'
    -click the 'settings' tab
    -set 'format' to 'cd-rom', 'naming' to 'iso 9660 level 1' and uncheck 'use apple extensions'
    -click 'done'

then use file>save as disk image, give the file a .iso extension instead of the default .toast one.

then connect to this image in parallels and you're done.
    enjoy!

3. gemillam

gemillam Junior Member

Soooo... can you get a free version of toast? I assume you'll have to buy it, wouldn't you? (Trying to keep the costs of all this to less than a cheap PC.)

4. gemillam

gemillam Junior Member

5. Frank Roscher

Frank Roscher Bit poster

I create my ISOs using terminal:

1. insert disk - findout which UNIX device is used using mount command - e.g. /dev/disk2s0
    2. umount the disk using "sudo umount /Volumes/<name-of-your-mountpoint>"
    3. copy disk using dd "sudo dd if=/dev/disk2s0 of=myiso.img bs=1024"
    4. eject the disk using "sudo diskutil eject /dev/disk2s0" (warning about eject can be ignored)

(of course, you can enter all this without sudo by using a root shell via "sudo sh")

6. Andre Dupont

Andre Dupont Bit poster

well, my last try was booting into windows with boot camp and make an ISO in windows, guess what, it works...:)
    side note, i tried toast but not your settings, ill try that later. But i also tried to burn a iso cd in toast and now i see that i can select that in paralllels as a physical CD...

Thanks all

7. tommytrc

tommytrc Bit poster

ISO From Disk Utility

Wow those solutions are way to hard..just used Disk Utility in OS X 10.3 and higher... If you have a real Macintosh, the process of creating an ISO disc image is quite simple. Place the CD in a Mac OS X 10.3 system, launch the Disk Utility program in /Applications/Utilities, click Session 1, and choose "New->Image" From Disk under the Images menu. Make sure to choose DVD/CD Master for your image format. Easy as pie..

8. Triangle

Triangle Bit poster

Greetings,

I suppose using ISO-burner free tool. It is small yet easy to use and relaible. It never failed me before, so you can give it a glance
    http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

9. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Use the tool that comes with Parallels!

1. Look in Applications/Parallels
    2. Run "Image Tool"
    3. Follow the instructions

:D

10. forkart

forkart Bit poster