High CPU Usage with Big Sur Guest and Catalina Host

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Miles_Teg, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Miles_Teg

Miles_Teg Member

When using Big Sur the CPU will suddenly spike to 90-80% usage. It will usually go back to normal after a few minutes but it happens often enough that it makes Big Sur unusable as a guest os. It don't think it's a memory issue as I've assigned 32GB of RAM to the VM and 3 CPUs. It is especially bleak when trying to run the Twitter Catalyst app. With that app running, the CPU never goes back to normal and I have to shut down the VM, as it's nearly impossible to get Big Sur to perform any action. Activity Monitor doesn't show anything crazy. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

2. JasonP2

JasonP2 Bit poster

I've seen high CPU usage on every version of parallels I've owned, primarily due to bsdtar processes which (according to some) are launched by parallels. I'm disappointed that it seems to be fairly common, yet nobody from parallels team is addresssing.

3. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @JasonP2, bsdtar processes are not due to Parallels. You need to end task all the bsdtar processes from task manager. Thanks, Parallels Team.

4. MichaelE

MichaelE Member

Big Sur runs for me at 200% CPU. I have the recommended settings. What is the matter?