Report Consolidation

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by PeteG4, Apr 29, 2022.

1. PeteG4

PeteG4 Bit poster

Hi;

We have multiple domains, with multiple corporate reporting folders. Is it possible to have a folder in the RAS Client that will house multiple excel sheets, from multiple servers and have them be refreshable? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pete

2. jpc

jpc Pro

I'm not sure I understand the setup and the final intention (e.g. refreshable?).

However, as long as there are RDSH servers that can access these folders and they are under a single farm, you should be able to publish each folder as a published "app". Once launched, their contents will reflect the current contents of that folder on the remote server.

Were you looking for something else? (e.g. dynamically updating the published applications/files based on some folder's contents)

3. PeteG4

PeteG4 Bit poster

Hi JPC;

Essentially, I was hoping to have a folder called 'Corporate_Reporting' in the client for members of the Executive group. Within that folder, I would like sub-folders that have the actual Excel reports from each of 6 locations that are on 3 domains available and able to be refreshed. That last bit is more along the lines of "nice to have", rather than "must have". The current process is for these folks to either use mapped drives or remote desktop as many as 6 different times to view things and I was hoping to consolidate that process. We can always write scripts that auto-copy refreshed versions of the files to those locations, if the cross-domain piece is an issue.

Pete

4. jpc

jpc Pro

RAS mainly builds over RDP; it can't simply override SMB or provide file access which is not available on an RDP server (remote published resources) or locally (locally published resources).

It can however provide a single "folder" with all the required "documents" (RAS Console > Publishing > Add > Document). These "documents" could still be launched from different RDP servers (depending on access requirements), however credentials need to be entered only once. For this to work, the required RDP servers have to be part of the same RAS "site", with cross-domain trust (you can alternatively use different accounts per domain with the same username/password but it becomes messy and cumbersome to manage).

If these documents accessed from the different RDP servers are the "live" documents you get the auto-refreshing for "free".

RAS provides a powershell API to update the published items so new document/setting updates can be scripted (instead of copying the documents themselves).

Would such a solution (single site, cross-domain trust) work for your case?

5. PeteG4

PeteG4 Bit poster

Yes, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

PaulG16 likes this.