Add FreeBSD 13.1 support for Parallels 17

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by lvv.me, May 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. lvv.me

lvv.me Bit poster

salvomic likes this.
  2. aremmell

aremmell Junior Member

Best Answer
    This has also put an end to my 3-hour struggle (FreeBSD 14-RELEASE aarch64 on M3 MBP). Thank you.

FhdA likes this.
  3. salvomic

salvomic Hunter

yes, it installs well.
    Please, add support, icon and Parallels Tools!
    thanks

4. rrpalma

rrpalma Junior Member

Were you able to run KDE or Gnome on a FreeBSD 13.1 VM? I completed a text install, everything runs fine. Installed xorg, sddm, and kde-baseapps (the kde5 full install metaport is not avaiiable for 13.1 on aarch64). Also included ums_load="YES" on loader.conf to get the mouse to work. The graphics login (sddm) works just fine, but then I get a black screen from KDE. Any suggestions?

5. Will Dormann

Will Dormann Junior Member

I've found that FreeBSD 13.1 (I haven't tested other versions) doesn't recognize the USB mouse provided by Parallels (or Fusion even) in a way that makes it usable. While it does indeed appear as a device as reported by lsusb -v, it does not appear as a /dev/ums0 device in the OS. As such, I suspect you'll have trouble using anything GUI that needs a mouse.

What's not immediately obvious to me is what about how the Parallels mouse causes /dev/ums0 to be skipped, but is present in things like UTM (which uses QEMU under the hood)
    For example, lsusb on Parallels (not working):
    [​IMG]
    And Fusion (not working):
    [​IMG]
    And on UTM/QEMU (working):
    [​IMG]
    At a glance, it's not obvious to me what the difference is between the one working mouse and the two non-working ones.

6. rrpalma

rrpalma Junior Member

As salvomic showed me in another thread, you should include this to get your mouse working:

Code:
    # /boot/loader.conf
    ums_load="YES"

MatteoCorti likes this.
  7. Will Dormann

Well I'll be! I thought that I had tried that before and it didn't work.
    But indeed, with the above change, there is now a /dev/ums0 device, and it works just fine in xorg. Thanks!

8. rrpalma

rrpalma Junior Member

Glad it worked. You have to thank salvomic who came up with the solution. Which desktop are you running?

9. Will Dormann

I'm using xfce4.

rrpalma likes this.
  10. aremmell

aremmell Junior Member

Best Answer
    This has also put an end to my 3-hour struggle (FreeBSD 14-RELEASE aarch64 on M3 MBP). Thank you.

FhdA likes this.