Parallels Desktop 17: Ubuntu 22.04 VM losts networking after Mac host wakes up

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by HongL1, May 16, 2022.

1. HongL1

HongL1 Bit poster

I just upgraded my Ubuntu 20.04 VM to v22.04, and notice that the VM losts network connection after the Mac host wakes up from sleep. The only way to bring it back is to reboot the VM. The problem does not repro with the original Ubuntu c20.04 VM. I have another Ubuntu 20.04 VM and it does not have the networking problem. Could it be caused by a change in the v22.04 kernel? Thank you.

2. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello, Kindly let us know the version of Kernel on Ubuntu 22.04 Virtual Machine.

3. HongL1

HongL1 Bit poster

Linux ubuntu 5.15.0-30-generic #31-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 5 10:00:34 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

4. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello, did you check the same issue with Bridged network mode (or Shared network mode)?
    You can refer to this KB Article to change the network mode.

5. HongL1

HongL1 Bit poster

Somehow the option of bridged networking is disabled. Is there a way to enable it?

6. HongL1

HongL1 Bit poster

I'm using shared networking mode, and it's fine so far with older Ubuntu VMs.

7. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello, Please change the network in the Configuration > bridged mode > select "Default adaptor" and check.

8. Sikeer

Sikeer Bit poster

my version is 18.1.1 (53328), it has the same problem. guest os is ubuntu 22.04

9. A8L11

A8L11 Bit poster

Same here. Parallels Desktop Version 18.1.1 (53328) on macOS 12.6.2 running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Server as a guest. As soon as the Mac (Macmini9,1 with Apple Silicon) goes to sleep and wakes up again the VM becomes unreachable. It's already using Bridged Networking with the adapter set to "Default Adapter" so this advice is of no use to me.
    Any help would be appreciated

10. dnz

dnz Bit poster

Anbody resolved this yet? (parallels 18.3.2, macos 13.4.1, ubuntu vm 22.04.2 LTS).
    PLEASE DON'T TELL ME: "Configuration > bridged mode > select "Default adaptor" and check." COZ IT AINT THE SOLUTION. Try it out, it's so easy to re-create the issue.

11. SimonE17

SimonE17 Bit poster

A quick fix is to sudo dhclient which will renew your lease and get you connected, restore samba/filesharing etc without further irk (assuming you have a static assignment to the h/w address set at the router/dhcp server) - but for me the only solution is to reboot (the guest) every time the mac sleeps as so much else is borked (I'm running Plesk/DNS etc) - I don't think Parallels is really intended for serious dev purposes, just simple app compatibility and such

12. BradP9

BradP9 Bit poster

For me the solution is to run `sudo NetworkManager`, and that seems fix it perfectly. Perhaps there is a way to automate this?

13. SimonE17

SimonE17 Bit poster

NetworkManager is no longer the renderer in Ubuntu Server releases - just netplan and config of .yaml.

14. A8L11

A8L11 Bit poster

sudo dhclient works just fine on my end, but I wouldn't have a clue how to automate this from within the VM. The only automatable "solution" I came up so far was to whip up a command line tool running in the background (on the host) which reboots the VM every time the Mac wakes up o_O