Display resolution: Only option is 1440x900

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by sean22, Nov 11, 2021.

1. brosenz

brosenz Member

I have installed macOS Monterrey 12.3.1 as a Guest OS within Parallels. The Host OS is macOS Monterrey 12.3.1, I am using Parallels 17.1.2.
    I have played around with different resolutions (apart from the default one of 1440x900) via the config.ini file within the package.

The result is always a blurry resolution, I cannot get a sharp screen, is there a way to resolve this problem?

Thank you

2. Tim29

Tim29 Bit poster

Hi all,

Easy fix!

Just add config with this values. No blur and high resolution! Apple 2021 max 16 inch. I also runned this script, but don't think this script is needed:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

[Hardware]

vCPU.Count=10

Memory.Size=17179869184

Display.Width=4112

Display.Height=2658

Display.DPI=254

Sound.Enabled=1

Network.Type=1

RalC likes this.
  3. RalC

RalC Bit poster

This is amazing! Works like a charm. Thank you so much.
    My setup (QHD display, 8GB, 6 cores):

[Hardware]
    vCPU.Count=6
    Memory.Size=8589934592
    Display.Width=2560
    Display.Height=1440
    Display.DPI=109
    Sound.Enabled=1
    Network.Type=1

4. RalC

RalC Bit poster

I wonder if there would be more variables / values to set than these 7.
    There does not seem to be much info on this online.
    It would be nice to be able to boot in other modes like Recovery, to disable SIP and Gatekeeper for instance.
    Holding down key-combos on boot does not seem to work for me.

5. RalC

RalC Bit poster

As a update to my own post: this article lists all the details. Currently there seem to be 7 configuration options.
    But it's a total game changer to be able to adjust resolution. The performance of my Monterey VM is incredible by the way.

https://kb.parallels.com/en/128842

6. Tim29

Tim29 Bit poster

Happy to help!!

7. brosenz

brosenz Member

With the 2021 MBP 16.2, I am using a non standard resolution within the host OS, scaled to 1496x967 (instead the Standard of 1728x117), what would the correct parameters to get full screen usage and sharp image:

Display.Width=
    Display.Height=
    Display.DPI=

I have experimented a little bit, the complex part is that you have to remove the width of the Menu Bar, in the Display.Height value, also, I am using DPI = 109 that way I get the option for HiDPI. The following values are very close to perfection, but I would like to understand how to make the calculation for my Scaled Resolution, and any other resolution I decide to use later on, to use the full screen (minus the Menu bar) and sharp resolution:

Display.Width=2992
    Display.Height=1870
    Display.DPI=109

Any assistance will be very much appreciated, thank you

8. brosenz

brosenz Member

How did you calculate the value for Display.DPI? for various different resolutions

9. DannyY3

DannyY3 Bit poster

I am unable to get the guest MAC OS 12 to detect my ext SSD / HDD. Any advice ?

10. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Could you please let us know do you have Intel Mac or M1 Mac? If you have M1 Mac, then it is currently not possible to connect any USB device to a macOS ARM VM yet. Kindly refer to this link for the known limitations of the Mac OS Virtual machine with an Apple M1 chip. Thanks

11. Brian33

Brian33 Bit poster

With new tech - it takes time to fully develop solutions. You can always try Fusion ;)