Will Norton Anti-virus run on the vm with the Apple M1 chip?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarkF12, May 21, 2022.

1. MarkF12

MarkF12 Bit poster

I am running Parallels 17 and W11 on a Mac with the new M1 chip. I've discovered that McAfee will not install in the W11 vm and I am looking for a replacement. Is anyone using Norton with the M1 chip in the W11 vm? I know that it will run on the Mac side but need to know if it will run in the vm.

Thanks.

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, the built-in Microsoft Defender is more than capable to protect your Windows from threats. But if you want to use any 3rd party anti-virus kindly check with their system requirements.

3. MarkF12

MarkF12 Bit poster

Hello, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the Norton site is not helpful as all it says is that it might not work. See the uploaded screen shot from their site. That is why I'm hoping there is a user who has had actual experience with this.

Attached Files:

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, as per the screenshot, some of their features will not work on the ARM environment. You can try Norton trial version and check if it matches your requirements.

5. MarkF12

MarkF12 Bit poster

Norton Tech Support has finally confirmed that their software cannot be installed on a W11 vm. I had tried to install a trial version. However, they maintain that by installing the software on the Mac side in Monterey the vm will also be protected. Does anyone know if this is true? I am skeptical as W11 is a totally different OS.

Thanks.

6. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Are you able to install Norton Anti-virus?

7. MarkF12

MarkF12 Bit poster