Parallels wants to reinstall Windows

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dhlovett, Sep 19, 2007.

1. dhlovett

dhlovett Bit poster

Parallels 3 no longer brings up the configuration page at startup, but takes me immediately to the OS Installation Assistant, where, it appears, it wants me to create a new VM.

Details:
    1. Upon my initial startup, I received a dialog box telling me that something critical hadn't loaded properly (I know, I really wish I had a screen shot of that dialog box), and that I should restart my VM.
    2. So I restarted the VM, and a kernel panic occurred.
    3. Upon rebooting the Mac, Parallels now takes me to the OS Install Assistant.

I upgraded to build 5160 2 days ago, and all seemed fine through multiple sessions and reboots. I took a snapshot prior to that install, but I can't get to it apparently because when I cancel the OS Installation Assistant, Parallels quits. The file Windows XP Pro.pvs has a size of zero; doesn't seem normal. Double-clicking the file winxp.hdd mounts my Windows HD on the Mac, and all looks good there.

What to do?
    Mac Pro 4-core 2.66GHz, OS X 10.4.9, 4GB RAM.

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hi,
    create new VM and add virtual harddisk that points to your old harddisk image. You can do that or through Parallels menu File->New... or if at Parallels startup you see dialog that provide you a VM selection press there button "New". Then you'll see already known you (i think ;) ) Parallels new VM installation assistant. At the first wizard page select "Custom" creation VM type. After some steps you'll see a page with harddisk setting select there "Use existing image file" option and specify path to your existing harddisk image.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  3. dhlovett

dhlovett Bit poster

sandro,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean by "add virtual harddisk that points to the old harddisk image." Do I have to install Windows XP into a new harddisk?

At present, all I see is the OS Installation Assisant when I start Parallels. I don't have access to any menus in Parallels; all menu items are dimmed. Any further help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Dave

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

You will not need to actually reinstall Windows, or even create a new virtual disk. When the "OS Installation Assistant" is open, select "Custom". You will then be asked which OS you are installing (even though you won't actually need to install it) so select "Windows XP". Then you will be asked how much RAM to assign to the virtual machine, which you can keep the default unless you have some other preference. After that you can select "Use an existing hard disk image" and select the virtual disk that contains Windows.

5. dhlovett

dhlovett Bit poster

brkirch,

Beautiful! That seems to have totally taken care of my problem. Thank you! Everything is there and looking good.

Dave

6. pgolden

pgolden Bit poster

I want to thank you all for this solution too. After upgrading to Leopard and having to force quit I had the same problem and this advice fixed it.

7. technonut2000

technonut2000 Junior Member

Reinstalling Windows Not Required

I would like to thank you for posting this solution. I had the same problem and it worked for me. The last question the "reinstall" asks is to insert the Windows CD and "Start the Windows XP Install". I left these questions as found when they came up and it worked for me too. Thank you. Perhaps the Parallels guys could revamp their FAQ to include these sorts of things to make them easier to find?

Thank you for this solution, my gut was sick for two days thinking that hope was lost.

Technonut2000

8. Beng02

Beng02 Bit poster

This fix doesn't work for me

I have tried the above fix, but the set up assistant still asks me to install the Windows XP CD & reinstall Windows. I want to avoid doing this. Can anyone out there assist. I'm going out of my mind.

Rachel.

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Take a look at sandro's post, you will be able to retrieve your data

10. Beng02

Beng02 Bit poster

Reply to John

Hi John,

Thanks for your mail. I did read Sandro's solution, and realized I hadn't unchecked the box that prompts the assistant to install Windows from the CD. However, even after doing this, I get a black screen which says "Boot from Hard Drive"... or words to that effect but then nothing happens. It wont boot Windows. Am I doing something wrong? You assistance is appreciated. R.

11. Beng02

Beng02 Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

12. John@Parallels

Start with new VM creation as following,
    Start Parallels Desktop holding Command key
    - File - New - select custom and continue with installation
    - later you can attach your existing hdd to VM

13. Beng02

Beng02 Bit poster

Dear John,

I have followed all these steps but on holding the command key and clicking on the command key, the Parallels folder comes up. On clicking on the Parallels application icon, the OS installation assistant comes up. I then do a custom install as instructed including selecting the original hard disk image, (winxp.hdd from the original Microsoft Windows XP folder) and finally unchecking the installation from CD box. BUt I get the black screen saying booting from hard drive but nothing happens. Should I deinstall Parallels and the reinstall again. THanks in advance. R

14. John@Parallels

Some misunderstanding is over here
    I meant install new Windows and after that you can attach your old disk and retrieve data

15. Beng02

Beng02 Bit poster

OK. Sorry if I'm being very slow. So you are saying I should reinstall Windows XP from the disk once more. Can you tell me what the steps are for recovering or attaching the old files after that.

And do you know why this problem happens from time to time. Is it likely to go on happening? I can't reinstall Windows every few weeks?

Thanks. R

16. John@Parallels

You need just to copy your files from attached drive to new Windows OS drive

Hard to say what is causing this without deep investigation
    - virus infection
    - incorrect shutdown
    - lack of space on Mac
    - Mac partition corruption
    etc.

17. Beng02

Beng02 Bit poster

OK. Thanks. Can you tell me the exact steps for doing this.

18. John@Parallels