Dedicated video memory on Win11

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Gergana, May 29, 2022.

1. Gergana

Gergana Bit poster

I'm playing a game, and for it to perform well it requires dedicated video memory. Is there a way to set up the VM to report some amount of the memory as dedicated video memory?
    Currently it reports all memory as shared and so the game has issues.

2. Gergana

Gergana Bit poster

Any ideas on this?
    I tried changing the HardwareInformation.MemorySize in the registry but unfortunately it does nothing :(

3. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @Gergana, Please refer to this KB article: https://kb.parallels.com/124575 and check. Thanks, Parallels Team.

4. Gergana

Gergana Bit poster

Hello McAllen and thank you for your reply. I understand it might be inefficient to dedicate memory specifically to graphics.
    However some older applications require memory to be reported as dedicated to function properly. Modern solutions like for example DXVK allow for setting the amount of VRAM that will be reported to the application as dedicated. It is a fictitious number, that does not affect how the system allocates the memory but allows to run said application successfully.
    Do you think something like this is possible with parallels? Perhaps there is a way to request this feature, it should be easy enough to implement?

5. Gergana

Gergana Bit poster

Wold be great to hear if this is something that could be considered...?