Parallels 17.1.3 Update - Coherence Mode Not Available

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Saggyhaggis, May 30, 2022.

1. Saggyhaggis

Saggyhaggis Bit poster

I have installed the latest 17.1.3 update this morning and now my VM resolution is unusable as it is locked to 1024 x 768. Coherence mode is not available either.

I am running Monterey 12.3.1 on a 27 inch 2020 iMac.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Parallels Tools and restarted the VM as well as the computer and this does nothing.

2. Saggyhaggis

Saggyhaggis Bit poster

I should also add that I am using a Mojave VM.

3. Saggyhaggis

Saggyhaggis Bit poster

I have downgraded to 17.1.2 as there appears to be a few posts on this version reporting issues with Mac VM's.

4. FabriceK

FabriceK Bit poster

same here.. the upgrades are not solving bugs. they are adding new bugs..

5. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Saggyhaggis likes this.
  6. Saggyhaggis

Saggyhaggis Bit poster

Disappointing that this issue wasn't caught prior to being released given the extent of the Mac OS versions that are affected.
    I rely on Parallels on a daily basis to run 32 bit apps on Mojave and from now on will have to check the forums prior to applying any updates.

SEKIT and SteveN39 like this.
  7. SteveN39

SteveN39 Bit poster

If only I had read this thread before installing 17.1.3

macOS Catalina VM unusable now, will have to uninstall Parallels Tools from Win11 and macOS VMs and downgrade to 17.1.2. Grrr...

8. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello guys, We have released the Parallels Desktop latest build 17.1.4. We would suggest you upgrade the Parallels Desktop to the latest build and check.

9. SteveN39

SteveN39 Bit poster

After experiencing the lost productivity of upgrading to 17.1.3, and back to 17.1.2, I ain't going first!
    In fact, I'll wait a while...

Saggyhaggis likes this.
  10. Saggyhaggis

Saggyhaggis Bit poster

With all due respect, I'm not going to upgrade to 'check' and just need to know if the issue has been fixed or not.
    I don't have the time to deal with broken updates.

SteveN39 and Mark Fine like this.
  11. ArthurP

ArthurP Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 17.1.4 on an M1 Max Mac and have two ARM VMs, Windows 11 and Ubuntu 20.04. Coherence mode is grayed out on the Ubuntu VM, but works fine on the Windows VM. Perhaps there is something wrong with the Ubuntu VM, but based on all the comments here I'm not too confident that that is the case. I'm actively using these VMs so I do not have the time right now to do anything drastic, but I just wanted to make my experience here known.

Arthur P.

12. Saggyhaggis

Saggyhaggis Bit poster

I've bit the bullet and upgraded to 17.1.4 during my lunch hour.

I'm happy to report, the resolution and coherence issue seems to have been resolved.

SteveN39 likes this.
  13. SteveN39

SteveN39 Bit poster

That's good to know; thank you for the update.

14. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello, We are glad to hear from you that the issue has been resolved.

15. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello, We would like to inform you that the coherence mode is not supported with Ubuntu VM on Parallels Desktop.

16. IanC20

IanC20 Bit poster

Hi, I'm running Parallels on an Apple M1 Ultra with 128gb of ram. I noticed Parallels caps the ram in half for the virtual Windows 11 install. Is it possible to utilize more? Also, Im unable to utilize both my Apple Studio Display monitor and Dell monitor as dual screens. Also, I unsuccessful with entering coherence mode. Can you please help and thank you!

17. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Hello @IanC20, It is not recommended to allocate more than half of the RAM size of MAC to Windows virtual machine as it may affect the performance of Mac or even crash the Mac. For coherence issues, Please try to reinstall the Parallels Tools by referring - Parallels Tools manual installation and check. You may also reinstall the Parallels Desktop for Mac once. Kindly elaborate more on the dual-screen monitor issue for further assistance. Thanks.

18. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Hello @IanC20, It is not recommended to allocate more than half of the RAM size of MAC to Windows virtual machine as it may affect the performance of Mac or even crash the Mac. For coherence issues, Please try to reinstall the Parallels Tools by referring - Parallels Tools manual installation and check. You may also reinstall the Parallels Desktop for Mac once. Kindly elaborate more on the dual-screen monitor issue for further assistance. Thanks.