what is the encryption technology for the new Encrypt Files in Parallels Toolbox Mac?

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by snsokstan, Jun 1, 2022.

1. snsokstan

snsokstan Member

Nice functionality but not clear how secure. The resultant file extension is .pboxz. The file comprises 8 columns of 4 digit strings. I don't see anything about a .pboxz file being a standard encryption output.

MatthewR20 and DonaldR3 like this.
  2. DonaldR3

DonaldR3 Bit poster

Why is the encryption copied and then when unencrypted it creates yet another copy. I like this I was use looking for a free exception for Mac. It's just weird if I trash my file that I encrypted could you then get that back from some other app that can retrieve deleted items?

3. Liubov Kulakova

Liubov Kulakova Parallels Team

Our tool uses AES-256 encryption algorithm on both macOS and Windows. However, the output file has indeed our file extension.

The tool creates a copy of the file and encrypts this copy using the AES-256 algorithm, so that you can securely share it. The original file is still kept on your computer. It is up to you what to do with the original.
    If you want encryption on the system level, there is a build-in macOS application "Disk Utility", which provides such functionality.