Parallels Desktop and M1/M2 Ultra chips

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mikhail Ushakov, Mar 10, 2022.

1. madamm

madamm Junior Member

Well using the text datei config.ini for the monterey guest I was able to config 20 core - geekbench 5 21.000.
    But for Windows there are only options up to 8 cores.
    Is there a timeline when we can expect full Windows support for the Mac Studio Ultra ?

2. Peter66

Peter66 Bit poster

Hi,

I got my new Mac Studio M1 Ultra and installed the Windows 11. But I can not set a higher CPU number than 4 CPU and only 8 GB of RAM.
    I read about some other users can't exceed 8, but I can not even assign more than 4 cores or more than 8 GB.

Attached Files:

3. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

4. madamm

madamm Junior Member

But the Pro-edition is limited to 8 CPUs on the M1 Mac - esp. on the Mac Studio Ultra - this is far away from the advertised 32 CPUs.

JoachimV likes this.
  5. pavanbits1

pavanbits1 Bit poster

difference between m1 and intel

6. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @pavanbits1, The architecture of the Intel Processor differs from the M1 chip processor. Thanks, Parallels Team.

7. Peter66

Peter66 Bit poster

Ok, thanks. I did not notice, that there are two different versions... Now it is working with the 8 CPU's.
    I guess, in future versions more than 8 will be available ?

8. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, please refer to know more about assigning CPUs to virtual machines between Pro Edition and Standard Edition. Thanks.

9. PC_

PC_ Bit poster

bhargava@parallels
    Can you please let your team at Parallels know that more and more of us are getting M1 and now M2 Macs and that the limitation at 4 cores is closing the door on using Windows 11 on M Series Macs.
    Thank you.

10. WillH7

WillH7 Junior Member

It seems if you get the Pro version, you can use up to 32 CPUs.

11. PeterL47

PeterL47 Bit poster

Hello,

I have just realised that the M1 with Parallels 17 does not support PXE Boot, which it did previously with Intel based chips.

Problem is I have around 100 new macs that I was going to image this way for business. I didnt fancy manually doing this honestly.

Is there an ETA on this?

Thanks

12. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi Peter,
    I can tell you it's in our roadmap, and we're working on the feature. Unfortunately, I can't provide you with the ETA since it's internal information.

13. DanS30

DanS30 Bit poster

I have the Ultra and I can not get past the installation of windows it keeps kicking me back to the Name and Locatin screen.

14. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi Dan,
    Kindly make a short video recording of the issue and upload it here. Additionally, generate a technical report at the moment of reproduction as described at https://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and send the report ID to us in your reply.

15. JohnS116

JohnS116 Bit poster

I am running Monterey 12.4 with Paralells Pro and windows 11 pro and have been trying for days to have AutoCad tech support fix my issue with the folowing response
    "thank you, John!

Unfortunately, this type of virtual installation does not meet the system requirements for using AutoCAD Architecture 2023 or 2022 (which doesn't mean it can't work). Using AutoCAD or AutoCAD based products via Parallels on an M1 chip can cause instabilities or rough commands, other users have reported this in the forums.

It may be worthwhile to make sure that Windows is up to date as well as any drivers that can be handled by Parallels. You can also try disabling folder sharing in Parallels settings.

If this does not work, you can try to perform a clean uninstall of AutoCAD Architecture and then reinstall it: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/...

Otherwise, it might be best to contact Parallels, because indeed, Autodesk provides technical support to ensure that your software is working properly, but this does not include your virtual environment.

Thank you very much.
    Best regards,
    Valentina
    Autodesk Expert"

16. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi John,
    We'd love to do our best to help you!
    Kindly provide us with the following information:
    1. Detailed scenario of the issue (it's better to provide us with step-by-step instructions).
    2. Generate a technical report at the moment of reproduction:
    - on the top Mac menu click the Parallels icon (||) > Help > Send technical data > enable 'Attach screenshots' > Send report. Send its ID to us. More detailed instructions can be found at https://kb.parallels.com/9058 .
    3. If the issue is easily reproducible, kindly send us a project that we can use for local reproduction.

17. husanpo

husanpo Bit poster

Hello, my computer has a mac M1 chip. I found that the mac virtual machine installed with the latest version of pd17 cannot connect to the network. What should I do?

18. husanpo

husanpo Bit poster

19. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

hi, we've created a ticket for you #3565087, we'll follow up with you through email.

20. AlbanV

AlbanV Bit poster

Hello all!

I have a problem with my macOS 12 VM. I am using a MacBook Pro M1 and I am not able to use my build in webcam. Is this also a known issue? I know that it is currently not possible to use external devices via USB (e.g. a WebCam....) but does the build in webcam also not work? If yes this is a showstopper for me, since I am not able to participate in e.g. teams or zoom meetings.

Attached Files: