key combination for "undo" (cmd+z) don't work in virtual machine with windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HC_3, Jun 11, 2022.

1. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

i would like to use the mac key combination for "undo" (cmd+z) also in the virtual machine with windows 10.

under settings > shortcuts > "virtual machine: windows" is entered that cmx+z is executed in the vm as ctrl+z. but this does not work.

can someone tell me why this is and what i can do?

is it possible that another windows key combination (e.g. win+z) is blocking this? and if so, how can i avoid this?

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Why:
    Windows has a completely different set of keystrokes. Where Apple uses Cmd, Windows (and Linux) uses Ctrl.
    Conversely, the Cmd key is used to invoke the Windows Menu on Windows, and it may not be a good idea to try to reprogram it because other applications may need it to be like that.

What to do:
    Frankly, I would just try to remember to use Ctrl instead of Cmd when using Windows... it's the native way it's supposed to work and is only two keys over. Sounds like a cop-out, but that's my suggestion.

3. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

thank you, mark. i can understand that.

however, the transfer of key combinations with cmd on windows has already worked well in other cases, for example cmd+c for copying, cmd+arrow for cursor jumping as well as cmd+arrow+shift for marking.

so the key combination for undo should work as well, i think.

who has a solution?

4. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

5. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

thank you, nazeemabanu, i have looked at the articles.
    the crucial thing is: do you have an answer to the following question?