SQL Server on Windows 11 - M1 MACS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Karthikeyan1, Nov 6, 2021.

1. YasarE

YasarE Bit poster

yes! it worked thank you but now i need to restore sql server 2019 backup in sql server 2014

2. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

I don't believe you can downgrade a SQL database back to 2014 once it has been upgraded to 2019. You would have to get a backup that was on 2014 and restore that back on 2014.

3. AmadeoG

AmadeoG Bit poster

Hola, lo que realicé fue instalar el SQL 2014, solo la BD y de 32bits y funciono correctamente. Las otras versiones. no me funcionaron, aunque todas las tenía en 64 bits

4. BudR1

BudR1 Junior Member

I had to run SQL 2014 32 bit in order to get it to work.

5. CathalN

CathalN Bit poster

Did you try installing SQL Express?
    SQL Server Express LocalDB - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

I had problems installing SQL Server too, but could install LocalDB using the MSI installer.
    (I tried installing 2019 developer, and SQL Express but ran into problems listed in this thread)

To connect in SQL Server Management Studio, you enter "(localdb)\MSSQLLocalDB" as the Server Name, and use Windows Authentication.
    upload_2022-9-22_22-7-45.png
    upload_2022-9-22_22-9-15.png

6. mohammedB10

mohammedB10 Bit poster

Is there are any way to install sql server 2019 on windows 11 on mac ?
    some vides on youtube say you can install it on docker on mac but I don't know is available to connect to it from parallels ?

7. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

8. JohnP71

JohnP71 Bit poster

Hello all, I came across this thread after finding that I could not install SQL 2022 developer edition on M1 Mac and started searching for solution.

I wasn't able to find anything online but I managed to work out a way of doing it so I though I would share that with you now.

The issue appears to be related to Parallels disabling Windows Update which the SQL setup program tries to check before installing.

This can be bypassed as follows;

Create a new windows user to use as the sql service account (make sure to create a local account - this might take a few clicks to get past Microsoft trying to force an online account on you)

Call the account SQLSVC and make sure to give it a secure password.

Download the full SQL Server iso and mount it by double clicking on it in the file explorer.

Open an admin terminal and navigate to the mounted DVD iso. On my system "cd E:"

Then update the following command with details from your individual setup with your Windows host name, your Windows account name and the details of the SQLSVC account you created in to the terminal.

PS E:\> ./setup.exe /Q /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ACTION="install" /FEATURES=SQL,AS,IS /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /SQLSVCPASSWORD="SVCACCOUNTPASSWORDHERE" /updatesource="E:" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="WINDOWSHOSTNAME\sqlsvc" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="WINDOWSHOSTNAME\YOURACCOUNT" /ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS="WINDOWSHOSTNAME\YOURACCOUNT"

9. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

I tried your suggestion above twice. Each time when the install had finished without any apparent error messages I was left with a system which did not appear to work. When I went into the SQL Server config tool it appeared that no network protocols were listed in the client and or server sections.

Can you elaborate on what your config looks like. I'm using Windows 11 ARM.

Dave

10. LukasV2

LukasV2 Bit poster

I think there are some crucial steps missing in the solutions described here. I've spent this weekend trying to make it work and I've been able to create a script that will install SQL Express on Windows 11 in the Parallels VM. I've verified it works by connecting from the MS SQL Management Studio as well as from an ASP.NET Core application. You can find the script here: https://github.com/jimm98y/MSSQLEXPRESS-M1-Install. Just run the bat file and wait until it completes.

AzinS and Denise_H like this.
  11. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

That looks like a lot work work you have done with that script. Thank you very much for your effort.

I am going to give it a try now.

12. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

It works. It took a little while but I've been able to connect to SQL server.
    Thanks very much for your effort.

Dave

13. DavidG2

DavidG2 Member

Question - if I wanted to use the 2022 Developer version of SQL server what would I need to change the url to which is referenced in the .ps file. I suppose I could manually download it and comment out the download bit in your script but that seems rather untidy when you have created such a slick script.

14. LukasV2

LukasV2 Bit poster

15. Denise_H

Denise_H Bit poster

Thank you so much for this! It's been so frustrating to have this issue, and this is such an elegant solution. Thank you for your time putting this together!

16. AzinS

AzinS Member

17. AzinS

AzinS Member

I see @LukasV2 posted the script here. Very good job.

18. ThomasK50

ThomasK50 Bit poster

Thank you! With the provided script I installed SQL 2019 in my Win11ARM Parallels Environment. Server works fine with my native Windows application

19. JurgenP

JurgenP Junior Member

@LukasV2, big thanks for writing the script!

Any idea why after running the script the SQL Server Agent service is not installed?

20. LukasV2

LukasV2 Bit poster

I've just updated the script to fix an issue with the admin account not being able to sign into SQL after the script changes last night.

As for SQL Server Agent, I don't have a clue. I've never used it as all I ever needed was SQL Express which does not even come with the Agent. I've been able to modify the script to include the Developer edition, but I did not play with it yet.

RobertM66 likes this.