PD17 on iMac Pro (2017), performance and stability

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PragmaticPraxis, Jun 26, 2022.

1. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

I am in need of a Parallels Desktop upgrade, because I REALLY need to start supporting Windows 11, and I can't have a Win11 VM on my current PD14. That said, I have avoided upgrading Parallels Desktop because, well, each new version has been and I have read too many horror stories of people installing and having all their VMs bricked, or lousy performance, or... It just hasn't been worth the hassle to upgrade for some lame eye candy "improvements" in Parallels Desktop, only to also incur the risk of moving from a PD that works to a PD that doesn't.
    I am hoping at least one or two people can chime in that they have had reasonably good success with PD17, specifically installed on an iMac Pro. It's just too important for me to upgrade Mac OS and Parallels Desktop based solely on Parallels Marketing.
    So, can the community allay my fears? Or clarify that I DEFINITELY, under no circumstances, should upgrade? It's this gray area of indecision that I want to exit.

2. PragmaticPraxis

And, to clarify my reticence, here is someone on this forum, two years ago, asking a question about GPU config that would DEFINTELY affect me, and Parallels never bothered to answer the question. This kind of shit support from Parallels is why I REALLY wish VMware was an option. But it's kinda not, due to the way it handles snapshots, and now due to the way its parent company is even worse than Parallels in many ways.

3. johngrins

johngrins Junior Member

Bought DT17 in the anniversary sale. Tried to install today, Quicken wouldn't launch, Finder did a slow never ending crawl in Quickaccess, and Windows shutdown would not complete without a forced quit. I'm rolling back to DT15, which was my last stable version. I've submitted a refund request.

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, have you reinstalled Parallels Tools after the upgrade?

5. johngrins

johngrins Junior Member

Yes, I did. Restarted windows, froze opening quicken, forced quit quicken, forced quit windows because it wouldn't shutdown, restarted Mac OS, still fails. Wasted hours in tech support for dt16 and wasn't going to relive that for dt17. Refund in process. Dt15 is stable. At this point I'm a pro restoring dt15 from time machine.

6. PragmaticPraxis

Good lord! Hey Parallels, can you see how this kind of experience, both the actual failure and the weak sauce "Did you reinstall Paralleles Tools" "support" might drive someone to using Bootcamp and Hyper-V? For the love of god, get your shit together.

7. PragmaticPraxis

@johngrins Which version of MacOS are you on? I have a DT15 download, so I might try "upgrading" that far at least, but I want to move to Monterey too. I have been putting off my Mac OS upgrade as well as Parallels, all because Parallels can't get their shit together and make a stable product these last few years. It's almost enough to make me buy a Windows box and be done with the VM madness.

8. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, which Mac OS you are running?

9. PragmaticPraxis

Debasmita, I wonder if you can comment on what Parallels says about PD17 Pro, MacOS Monterey and iMac Pro (2017)? Do you feel confident that this combination SHOULD work, especially for heavy programs like 2023 Autodesk AutoCAD, Revit, 3Ds Max, Navisworks, etc? Or would you not recommend that upgrade?

10. PragmaticPraxis

So, nothing from Parallels as to PD17, Monterey and an iMac Pro? Is that just because no one can bother, or because you know it's a bad combo and aren't willing to own that fact? It's this kind of "support" that is so frustrating.