Visual Studio 2022 / Windows 11 / M1 Max

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JohnD61, Dec 22, 2021.

1. JohnD61

JohnD61 Bit poster

I'm new to Parallels. I installed Windows 11 (the default ISO that comes with Parallels). When installing VS 2022, I got a warning about ARM not being supported. Can somebody help me understand a few points?
    - Is Parallels running an ARM version of Windows 11?
    - Is it true that VS 2022 officially does not support ARM?
    - So far, I was able to install VS and still run it. However, I'm unable to make it recognize a physical Android device that's plugged in to the Mac. I'm using a USB-C to USB-C cable. I can see that Parallels recognizes the device but neither Win11 nor VS does. Has anyone faced a similar issue before? On the device, I turned on developer options and USB debugging.

2. RobinS19

RobinS19 Bit poster

Did you resolve this? I am also having the same issue. My Pixel phone is plugged in, in USB debug mode, Parallels identifies the usb connection as pointing to Windows 11, but Visual Studio 2022 on the Windows side does not recognize it. Any help would be appreciated. I made this Mac Studio + Parallels purchase for the express purpose of doing Xamarin development. Not being able to deploy to a physical Android phone is a deal breaker. I have had a MacBook + Parallels in the past and had no problem doing exactly this. Please help!:(

3. Jacob15

Jacob15 Bit poster

@RobinS19 , Visual Studio has a Mac version that supports Xamarin perfectly. why not use that? otherwise you can try the preview version of 17.3. It supports ARM Natively but not sure about Xamarin. I can never get the SDK installed on VS Windows on the VM. hopefully they fix that part.

4. RobinS19

RobinS19 Bit poster

I am using VS for Mac, but i miss a ton of the features that the regular version of Visual Studio has... like running unit tests one at a time and seeing how many references a method has with a glance instead of digging in... i could go on for three hours. My whole purchase of this M1 Ultra Mac Studio has been a horrible experience... and I don't see myself as a picky developer. But... I guess I will make the best of it and switch to the preview channel to see if I can get the darn thing to work. Thanks.

5. StephenW14

StephenW14 Bit poster

Have you all tried the Visual Studio 2022 Preview for Arm on Windows? I have a Macbook Pro M1 Max with 64 gb ram and gave Windows 16gb. Visual Studio works perfectly for me with the only issue so far being Sql Server Localhost not working unless I install the SQL server 2014 x86 version and point to that. Progress is happening!

6. GDev

GDev Bit poster

The best solution I've found so far is to run SQL Server on the Mac using Docker with the Azure SQL Edge image: https://hub.docker.com/_/microsoft-azure-sql-edge
    I've been impressed with how well it works. I've been doing a bunch of stand-alone SQL dev work locally on my Mac M1 Max with this and Azure Data Studio. If I need to connect to a SQL DB while working in Visual Studio in a VM, or from a Windows machine on my local network, I'm able to connect to the Azure SQL Edge instance on my Mac without issue.