MacOS Monterey 12.3.1 install failed when installing from Recovery disk

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by KonstantinB6, Jul 5, 2022.

1. KonstantinB6

KonstantinB6 Junior Member

I'm getting the attached error toward the end of a MacOS Monterey installation on a guest VM. I chose the "install from recovery partition" option at the start. Is there another approach I can take to install MacOS as a VM?

Attached Files:

2. StanyS

StanyS Bit poster

I too am facing the same error !

3. KonstantinB6

@DebasmitaM@Parallels
    @GampaA@Parallels

Any insight into this? We have an urgent need to get a MacOS VM running. Please advise on a solution or a workaround to get either Big Sur or Monterey installed.

4. AlexanderW10

AlexanderW10 Bit poster

Same problem here on an Intel iMac installing Monterey 12.4 and a solution would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

5. eliotw

eliotw Member

I'm having the same issue on Intel iMac.

6. KonstantinB6

So it sounds like Parallels can't currently be used with the latest version of Monterey? Can someone from the Parallels team please chime in?

7. eliotw

eliotw Member

I also tried download the Monterey install app and using that for the install but Parallels fails when converting it to a disk image to be used for the install. I was able to install a Big Sur VM using its installer app but I haven't tried updating that VM to Monterey yet.

8. KonstantinB6

@eliotw can you please share where you downloaded the Big Sur installer app from? We can try that approach in the interim. Thank you!

9. eliotw

eliotw Member

10. KonstantinB6

Awesome, thanks @eliotw! We have the app file. You mentioned converting it to an image, is there a tool for that?

11. eliotw

eliotw Member

FOO
    After you download the installer app from that link, run it and it installs the "Big Sur" app in your Applications folder, then select that when installing a new VM and Parallels automatically converts it to some disk image and uses it for the actual VM install (that part is all under the covers except for the pop-up that tells you it's doing it).

KonstantinB6 likes this.
  12. KonstantinB6

Thanks! Unfortunately when I did that with the most recent Big Sur version, Parallels failed to created the disk image. Which version did you use @eliotw?

13. eliotw

eliotw Member

I used 11.6.7. I'd read that installing a VM using the app isn't supported on the M1. I'm on Intel.

14. KonstantinB6

Yes I'm on Intel too and I used the same exact version but ran into that error. This is pretty frustrating as a paying Parallels customer. Currently I have no way of setting up a MacOS VM.

15. eliotw

eliotw Member

It is frustrating, not sure why BigSur isn't working for you. Here a method I just used to convert the Big Sur app to an ISO so that Parallels doesn't try to do that itself. It worked and I was able to install a new VM using the ISO. These are the ClI commands you'd enter in the Terminal app:
    hdiutil create -o /tmp/BigSur -size 14000m -volname BigSur -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
    hdiutil attach /tmp/BigSur.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/BigSur
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/BigSur
    sync
    hdiutil detach "/Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur"
    hdiutil detach "/Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur" -force
    hdiutil convert /tmp/BigSur.dmg -format UDTO -o /tmp/BigSur.cdr
    mv /tmp/BigSur.cdr ~/Desktop/BigSur.iso

I created a new VM in Parallels and manually chose the BigSur.iso file (from the Desktop) and when Parallels says it can't detect the OS type, continued and chose MacOS
    (Note the second "detach" cmd with the -force option is only needed if the previous one returns an error)

Good luck!

16. KonstantinB6

You're awesome @eliotw! If only the Parallels team was as helpful as you are ;)

Do I need to convert the .pkg file I downloaded into a .dmg file? If so, how did you do that?

17. eliotw

eliotw Member

You first need to run the .pkg file and it creates the "Install macOS Big Sur" app in Applications. The first "hdiutil" cmd above creates the /tmp/BigSur.dmg file.

18. KonstantinB6

That seems to have worked. This should do the trick for us. Much appreciated!

19. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Thank you for your participation and response.