Which is Faster: Windows as new Parallels VM, or Parallels connection to Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KevinS31, Apr 2, 2022.

?

Which is Faster: Standard Parallels VM, or Parallels connection to Boot Camp?

1. Setup as VM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Setup as VM that accesses Boot Camp Partition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No Difference except you're wasting drive space with Boot Camp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KevinS31

KevinS31 Bit poster

Which is Faster (or same): Windows as new Parallels VM, or Parallels connection to Bootcamp?

I have a Mac Pro Xeon with 28 Cores, 192GB of memory, More drive space and GPU than i can possibly need. When i got the Mac Pro, I set up a boot camp partition, installed windows, and started working with large data files that take make my MS Excel tasks take a while to process. I decided to use Parallels and chose to create the "My Boot Camp" connection as opposed to creating a new VM. Assuming drive space is no issue, I'm wondering if i would have been better off creating a new VM. I really don't know how the VM works. For example, if i assigned 18 cores and 92GB of memory to the VM, will it process data just as fast is it would if I had a 18 core / 92GB machine booted straight into boot camp (not using VM)? Is the only thing i lose the refresh rate from the GPU? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Full Specs:
    • 2.5GHz 28‑core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    • 192GB (6x32GB) of DDR4 ECC memory
    • Two Radeon Pro W6800X with 32GB of GDDR6 memory each
    • 4TB SSD storage

2. Tharun@P

Tharun@P Moderator

Hello, The performance of the virtual machine completely depends on how much RAM and processors you assign to the virtual machine. If you assign 92GB of RAM and 18 cores, then the virtual machine will process data just as fast as it would if I had an 18-core, 92GB machine booted straight into Boot Camp. Thanks.