Broken Audio When Parallels 17 in Background

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Anthony Mattas, Sep 9, 2021.

1. No-One-No-Where

No-One-No-Where Bit poster

Actually that hasnt helped
    Only closing down the 2nd (and any other additional VM's) seems to resolve
    It appears that having only ONE VM running is the only way to get Audio on Host and VM Guest

2. ScottS43

ScottS43 Bit poster

I have a 2019 MB Pro running 1 Windows 10VM and having the issue described here. I just down graded to Parallels 16 as many have had success with that solution. I'm going to give it a try and report back here after a day or 2.

3. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

Has PD 17 been fixed yet?

4. DarrenS2

DarrenS2 Bit poster

I can confirm that this happens on Parallels 17.1.2 on MacOS 12.2.1
    Audio can be a little choppy, then from time to time, all audio in/out on the mac is stopped, and suspending or stopping the VM will return it. It's a bit random, as sometimes it works perfectly

5. DarrenS2

DarrenS2 Bit poster

No. I downgraded to 16 today, and my audio is OK now (at least it doesnt kill audio completly). On 17, parallels will randomly break audio, until the VM is suspended.
    It's a shame - the graphics performance in my guest was awesome on 17, but the parallels tools won't build for Fedora 35 on 16...

6. petera28

petera28 Bit poster

Same issue here, PD17 and no audio on Mac, can't play videos, team meetings are silent (god bless :))
    I'm going to downgrade to PD16 to see if that fixes it

7. No-One-No-Where

No-One-No-Where Bit poster

I have found using Apple Hypervisor and no Adaptive seems to have resolved the problem (all VM's are set to this)

8. petera28

petera28 Bit poster

So I downgraded to PD16 and still no sound while the virtual machine is running.
    If I suspend the virtual machine then sound comes back

9. DarrenS2

DarrenS2 Bit poster

For me, with Fedora 35/36 guests, on x86,
    - Fix parallels tools as per another thread for linux 5.17 kernels (hopefully Paralles team will update soon)
    - Use Apple Hypervisor only (critical)
    - Switch from wireplumber to pulseaudio fixes the audio glitches

10. alberte1

alberte1 Bit poster

We are the best farm product seller https://ogrannyfarms.com/

11. ScottS43

ScottS43 Bit poster

Since downgrading to P16 in March, my audio has been flawless. I even upgraded to macOS Monterey but stayed on P16 and my audio is still working without issue. I have no plans to go back to P17 at this point. I see no advantage in it until Parallels corrects this issue.

AlexA2 likes this.
  12. MadhavaJ

MadhavaJ Bit poster

This happens to me too on Parallels 17.1.4 and Monterey 12.4 Intel Mac. I need nested virtualization so I think I have to run the Parallels Hypervisor. Its really annoying. Also, possibly unrelated but I can never get it to stabley let me use USB devices, like things that need firmware updates or Android phones, it constantly switches them back and forth, captures, fails to capture etc and its a nightmare. I spent ages trying all the tricks in the book and nothing worked.

13. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

Has this been fixed? I'd like to upgrade to PD18 but I'm scared.

14. WolfgangS9

WolfgangS9 Bit poster

I don't think it has been fixed generally. However switching to Apple VM and disabling adaptive hypervisor solved the issue for me with Parallels 18

15. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

Any news on PD18, has it been fixed?

16. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

Any news on PD 18, has it been fixed yet? I'd like to know if it's safe to upgrade.

17. Alan22

Alan22 Bit poster

The stuttering audio glitches is still a problem in PD 18 / Foobar / Windows 11 ARM.
    I have tried disabling Adaptive Hypervisor, changing various CPU and Memory counts, and Windows sampling rates to no avail.
    Was only able to fix the problem by installing WASAPI.fb2k-component in Foobar.

Hope this helps.

18. WolfgangS9

WolfgangS9 Bit poster

It would be nice to get a response from Parallels on this issue...anybody listening???