Activate Windows 11 with Mac M1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by StefanP7, May 10, 2022.

1. StefanP7

StefanP7 Bit poster

I can't activate a Windows 11 on a Parallels with M1 chip. I was using Windows 10 on my old Mac, activation with this license doesn't work. So I bought a new license for Windows 11 Professional. This license cannot be activated either. Suppose I'm trying to install Windows using the ISO file that I received with this purchase, it doesn't work because that ISO file only works for an Intel-based processor Windows. Where can you buy a Windows 11 for ARM processors? Nobody understands that anymore! Does anyone have a tip for me!

2. StefanP7

StefanP7 Bit poster

Thank you for your reply. I have a license for Windows 11 Pro, but if I install Windows 11 from Parallels Control Center, I get a Windows 11 Home. Perhaps this is the problem, that I try to activate a Windows 11 Home with a license-key for Pro. The Error Message is 0xc004f050.

3. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @StefanP7, Please contact Microsoft support regarding the activation issue of Microsoft Windows 11. Thanks, Parallels Team.

4. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

I just tried the "automatically" installed version of Windows 11 and then entering a Pro key. It tries, then fails.

5. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

I should have disregarded the Windows error message. It was rebooted after the update and showed as activated to Pro.

MichaelH63 likes this.
  6. Anthony Sbarro

Anthony Sbarro Member

I'm having the exact same issue as you've reported. How were you able to resolve this?

7. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

I simply rebooted.

8. Anthony Sbarro

Anthony Sbarro Member

Not working for me :(

9. hablutzel1

hablutzel1 Bit poster

I bought a cheap Windows 11 Pro license and I was unable to activate it using the default Windows 11 that Parallels automatically installs, but activation with my cheap license worked using the Windows 11 VHDX image referenced in https://kb.parallels.com/125375.

10. kjunsal

kjunsal Bit poster

Use troubleshooting in activation page. I did that myself

11. David717

David717 Bit poster

For anyone still struggling with this, I found a solution that worked for me.

My situation was slightly different. I set up Windows 11 ARM on my work Mac and wanted to activate it with a Volume License Windows 11 Pro key from my workplace. Activation failed and the error returned was 0xC004F213. The natural conclusion was to try the troubleshooter. Troubleshooter said either contact support or buy a new license. I chose to contact support, but because my Microsoft account is a business account, the Get Help login screen wouldn't even recognize my account.

Googling the error code, I found this guide to resolve the same error code, but in Windows 10. The section that finally resolved the issue for me was "Use a Generic Key". Basically, you disconnect from the internet, input the generic key which will upgrade your "Home" installation to Pro, then restart the computer. After you restart, connect to the internet again then change the license key to your valid key. Voila, Windows 11 Pro for ARM activated on my M1.

I suspect the fact that my key is a volume license key was not relevant, and that it simply would not activate on a "Home" installation. Using the generic key to update to Pro seems like the real fix.
    It may also be worth noting that I'm on the Insider Beta channel, though I suspect that makes no difference.

DelphineC and MartinM39 like this.
  12. AinurK

AinurK Bit poster

Hello! I have bought Parallels Pro edition, and can't activate Windows 11 pro...should I buy it? Error code: 0xC004F213
    Please, could you help to solve this out?

13. BillyL4

BillyL4 Bit poster

Thanks David717 your method really works! I got it resolved using your instruction! Greatly appreciated for your help!

David717 likes this.
  14. JasonM38

JasonM38 Bit poster

David717's fix was right on the money. I used the same generic key in the link he provided. In my case after putting in a legitimate Windows 11 Pro Key I received an error message that "We can't activate Windows on this device right now". I rebooted and Windows was fully activated.

David717 likes this.
  15. DavidN11

DavidN11 Bit poster

Doesn't help for a digital licence (no product key, and the old machine reports the generic key as the product key)

Sadly, Microsoft were very unhelpful. I've wasted so much time on this now I'm considering giving up and purchasing a new license, but I'm too scared the new license will not work, either.

16. GarySp

GarySp Bit poster

David's method did not work for me. My machine stayed on Windows 11 Home. I need Windows 11 Pro for ARM Mac m1. Can't find how to download or install 11 Pro for ARM installer.

17. SaoG

SaoG Bit poster

I only have a Macbook Air with an M1 processor on which I have a virtual machine with Windows 10 for ARM processors already installed. Since the new version came out, the system prompted me to upgrade to Windows 11.

18. JasonS36

JasonS36 Bit poster

I tried all morning with a legit Win11 licence to no success. I eventually on a win tried an old Win 10 licence I had from way back in 2015. Worked fine. So weird!

I also stumbled into another issue when logging into my Microsoft account; that it would ask for my password and then imidiatley after ask for a current system password, which always failed whenever i was using the one i know. I figured out i need to go to settings and 'add' a new password inside of 'Sign in Options' > 'Passwords'. Mentioning this incase anyone else is stuck there.

What a huge waste of a morning scrathing my head.

19. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

I have had it that Activation failed, but was complete on reboot! Go figure.