DirectX 12 Support (add app titles in comments)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by Danny7, Feb 23, 2018.

?

Would DirectX 12 Support from Parallels Improve Your Experience?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2023.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No - I don't utilize solutions that need DirectX 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JonathanA9

JonathanA9 Junior Member

There is no excuse for not adding this now that Metal 3 is released.

AtsushiI5 and kunze50 like this.
  2. InVietDung

InVietDung Bit poster

Kindly add direct x 12 support for playing high end gaming virtually

AtsushiI5 likes this.
  3. ColinH2

ColinH2 Member

There are other topics about how certain games won't work, because they require DX12, and DX12 is not possible because Metal does not do some of the functions that are possible with DX12.

There is an app I use that only needs DX11 feature levels, but that uses a DX12 syntax. I gather that DX12 syntax is easier than DX11 syntax.

Would it be possible for Parallels to support DX12 syntax, even if only DX11 feature levels are supported?

4. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

Here's hoping that the beta Metal 3 API (included in macOS 13 beta) helps to provide for DirectX12. The prior two Metal API's missed to many features to be able to support DirectX12.

mwedwards and JoachimV like this.
  5. PhilipT7

PhilipT7 Bit poster

Metal 3 includes key API features that are compatible with DirectX 12. One is mesh/object shaders. The other is the (very, very recently) removed restriction on argument buffer bind counts (https://developer.apple.com/metal/Metal-Feature-Set-Tables.pdf). Previously, it was at 500k which is shy of 1M that DirectX needs. There was a Reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/sjcthy/directx_12_support_on_parallels_desktop) that said this was a blocking issue, but I (1) don't think it would have been blocking in the first place and (2) it has already been fixed. If there's enough user demand, which Parallels maintainers can definitely see there is, they could add some kind of "unsafe" mode that assumes the game dev keeps within 500k. Why would anyone use all 1M slots in the argument buffer anyway? If it crashes at runtime, there are already things that can crash at runtime, especially in a VM.

Besides that, the biggest block may have been things like "geometry shaders" and "domain shaders". That terminology is foreign to me, an experienced Metal developer. The addition of mesh/object shaders as described in the MSL specification may or may not fill that gap in functionality. Another blocker might be BC compression which is unsupported by Apple silicon, but that's part of DX11 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3d11/texture-block-compression-in-direct3d-11) which Parallels already supports. If someone on the staff reads this, I'm curious how you pulled that off. Parallels is closed-source, but perhaps you could explain with a source code sample or a pointer to Metal features used.

I would be most interested if Parallels tackled DX12, Vulkan, and OpenCL at once. See (https://www.codeweavers.com/blog/cj...etting-there-crossover-support-for-directx-12) for some technical limitations of DX12 and Vulkan. OpenCL has been ported on top of DX12, which should make adding OpenCL to Parallels easier. I would like to see that because I'm doing a project with OpenCL and would like to compile it in Windows. Another cool thing would be testing out Microsoft's DirectML backend for TensorFlow, which uses DX12 for compute shaders instead of OpenCL.

AurelienB and mwedwards like this.
  6. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

Stray doesn't work. Please provide a fix - c'mon we NEED cat games (and not only vids)... ;-)

mwedwards likes this.
  7. JoshuaB23

JoshuaB23 Bit poster

Please support DX12_2, OpenGL 4.6 and Vulkan. I would be willing to pay a small extra fee for this support.

mwedwards and infilmity like this.
  8. PhilipT7

PhilipT7 Bit poster

Same. I would pay a small extra fee as well.

9. PhilipT7

PhilipT7 Bit poster

But only if you added OpenCL 1.2 to that list of APIs. DirectX 12 Ultimate seems unrealistic given the M1's hardware, so I would be find with regular DirectX 12. Alternatively, if CLOn12 is a thing and works on Parallels, I would be fine too.

mwedwards likes this.
  10. DamianC5

DamianC5 Bit poster

No joke, I'd happily pay extra for a gaming support add-on. Would love to move entirely to Mac. Let's make it happen!!

AtsushiI5, mwedwards and infilmity like this.
  11. FriedrichW

FriedrichW Junior Member

I would like to see DirectX 12 and I would also pay a extra for this
    I'm a Developer in the 3d CAM Market and now there is a request to support
    Open 3D Engine
    here: https://www.o3de.org

mwedwards likes this.
  12. yejoons

yejoons Bit poster

i want play the fallguys in steam or epicgames but it doesnt work .. do u have plan for these things

mwedwards likes this.
  13. WilliamT14

WilliamT14 Member

Now that macOS 13.0 Ventura has been released, I'm hoping for quick utilization of the Metal 3 API and potential improvements regarding DirectX.

14. NickA16

NickA16 Bit poster

horizon zero dawn .... please add direct x 12 support. it s a crime in our times do not have dx12 on such powerfull machines like m1 pro , m2 pro , etc

AtsushiI5 likes this.
  15. KeithL4

KeithL4 Bit poster

Diablo 4 not supported. This is the ONLY reason I would subscribe to Parallels Desktop. Hopefully you will add DirectX 12 support.

NickA16 likes this.
  16. Soulhunterla

Soulhunterla Bit poster

Hello, i am new to parallels and I have a Question to the DirectX 12 support. I have used the trial version of parallels 18 and looked up the DirectX Analyse Programm and the last point is "DirectX-Version: DirectX 12". So my Question is, why is there an entry with "DirectX-Version: DirectX 12" if parallels does not support DirectX 12? It's very confusing for customers which want to buy parallels and expect to run their DirectX 12 Applications on it... I would prefer either to fix this wrong DirectX Version to 11 or really update to DirectX 12.

I would also buy parallels if there would be a real DirectX 12 support for my Applications!

Maybe someone can clear why Win 11 in parallels says it supports DirectX 12, it thats not true?

I hope it doesn't matter if the picture is in German :)

Attached Files:

AtsushiI5 likes this.
  17. JustinC19

JustinC19 Bit poster

Excellent post. I was reviewing this blog continuously, and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information especially this page. Thank you and good luck.

18. BrianB55

BrianB55 Bit poster

Diablo games... this is an old thread and surprised directx12 still isn't supported.

19. JPJ1

JPJ1 Bit poster

I sense the new Game Porting Toolkit on macOS Sonoma is going to answer a lot of DirectX 12 needs (a simple Google search will show Diablo 4 running on macOS Sonoma beta with the GPT; and many other games).

20. DerekR2

DerekR2 Bit poster

Resident Evil 2, 3, 4, & 7