Windows 11 activation troubleshoot

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Predatorace, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Predatorace

Predatorace Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased and installed Parallels Desktop 17 on my M1 MacBook Pro. When I ran Parallels Desktop it automatically gave me the option to download and install Windows 11 Home edition, which I did. I didn't (need to) sign up for the Windows Insider program or anything.

Of course when I launched Windows 11 it had the message that it's not activated (also visible in the bottom right corner). I purchased at Windows 11 Pro license key through a CD key reseller (G2A), but I can't activate it. When I enter the code it starts downloading files for the upgrade but then gives an error. Just to be on the safe side I also bought a Windows 11 Home license key, also through a CD key reseller. Same problem.

Can someone please help me, I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I just want a valid Windows 11 version to run parallel (no pun intended) to my MacOS.
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me!

2. dhjaffe

dhjaffe Junior Member

Sorry, I can't help you with activation because, like you, I have been unable to activate Windows.
    But you say that Parallels Desktop 17 gave you the option to download & install Windows 11 Home Edition on your M1 MacBook Pro. I also have a new M1 MacBook Pro & installed Parallels Desktop 17 but was forced to download & install the Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview version with the explanation that that version of Windows was the only one that would work with my new Mac. I would rather install the Home Edition version since I have a Home Edition Product Key. I am hoping you may be able to answer 2 questions. Firstly, do you know if the Windows 11 Home Edition that you have is an ARM version? Apparently, ARM versions of Windows are the only versions that will work on the M1 Macs. Secondly, could you recreate the steps once your Parallels Desktop 17 was installed, that then allowed you to download & install your Windows 11 Home Edition?
    Thanks.

3. Predatorace

Predatorace Bit poster

First time I launched Parallels Desktop 17 it just prompted my with a message saying no installation of Windows was found and said it needed to download Windows 11. It then proceeded with automatically downloading a Windows 11 iso file (ARM64). I just checked and it is the ARM version, under system it says: Windows 11 Home (21H2) and OS build 22000.318.

emmapaul and dhjaffe like this.
  4. dhjaffe

dhjaffe Junior Member

Thank you! That's very helpful. I'll search Microsoft for that build.

5. RickR6

RickR6 Bit poster

Have you been succesful registering Windows 11? Parallels support team has been absolutely worthless in assistance.

VechakaC and JoannaM like this.
  6. SimonC12

SimonC12 Bit poster

I agree totally with RickR6. The whole process has been very frustrating and has caused me a lot of waste of time. Currently waiting for Microsoft help but wonder if that will be that helpful. Buying another product key would be ridiculous so I am very close to cancelling all subscriptions and switching to another VM.

7. PhilipP8

PhilipP8 Junior Member

I'm just reading that Microsoft is bringing Windows 11 to ARM "commercially" (with the release of the new Lenovo Pluton computers) ... is there any indication that Windows for ARM will be available to us for purchase and use in our VM's instead of the Insider Preview version ?

8. RiccardoC6

RiccardoC6 Junior Member

I activated Win 11 on ARM with my old win7 (updated to win 10) notebook license.. Very surprised!

9. emmapaul

emmapaul Bit poster

predatorace thanks for the information.

10. DaveSpacey

DaveSpacey Bit poster

For those of you still having trouble with this, you might want to try the advice from this thread (from Microsoft's site):
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...eric-key/c76631e5-0d8b-4812-bab5-b60db645db44

The default Windows 11 that was installed for my VM was Windows 11 Home, but I had a Pro key that refused to upgrade/activate while giving me the infamous 0xC004F050 error.

I remembered that I encountered a similar issue when trying to upgrade my own personal laptop from Windows 10 Home -> Pro, so I thought I'd try the above tip.

The steps in a nutshell is:
    * Put VM in airplane mode or "disconnect" its internet
    * Go to the Activation page and select "Change product key"
    * Enter in the Generic Pro Key listed in the thread. This will trigger Windows to upgrade your edition to Pro and will reboot.
    * After Windows has rebooted, disable airplane mode or "reconnect" its internet
    * Go back to the Activation page and select "Change product key"
    * Enter in the Pro key you actually want to use and wait in suspense for what seems like an eternity...

Be sure to put the device in airplane mode otherwise it will fail right after mentioning it is going to upgrade your version. So far, steps seem to have worked for me as my VM now states it is "Activated", and I'm able to do things like change my wallpaper, use a USB headset, both of which I wasn't able to prior.

I will note that I still see the text "Evaluation copy" at the bottom right. Perhaps that's because this is an Arm Insider version?

532nmFlash likes this.
  11. AlexanderV11

AlexanderV11 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have a similar problem i believe and the above mentioned workaround above got me to PRO Edition at least, but an activation is still not possible. I have an Win11 Pro License Key and every time I enter it under "change product key" the CPU usage in VM/Taskkmanager gets up to 100% and the activate Window is just spinning the waiting wheel. I tried every "options" I could find here and in microsoft forum, but it still persists.

Anyone of you encountered the same or has and idea for me? I´m new to Parallels and Using Parallels 17 on a MBP M1.

Thanks in advance!

12. AlexanderV11

AlexanderV11 Bit poster

Hi Peter,

thanks for Reply! Actually in the end it work. After letting it stay on the "activate screen" for like 1 1/2h. Not sure why it took so long..

13. KeithR5

KeithR5 Bit poster

Followed the process and purchased and activated a digital license of Windows 11 Pro on my Mac M1 ARM. It worked for a while then when i restarted the virtual machine a few hours later, it said my windows was not activated. I used the troubleshooter and it said that it cannot activate on my machine. I chose "I changed hardware on this device recently" and that did not work either. Any ideas of what i can do next? Any way i can reload using my digital license?

14. 532nmFlash

532nmFlash Bit poster

I confirm that DaveSpacy's advice (five posts above, DaveSpacey, Apr 2, 2022 in forum: Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac) worked for me last week, August 1. Windows 11 Pro is still activated. I started with a clean install (disk encryption off) Monterey 12.5, Macbook M1MAX, Parallels 17.1, unactivated Windows 11 Home from the Parallels link. Airplane mode was grayed out so I just unplugged ethernet, wifi, and bluetooth. As described by DaveSpacy, conversion to Windows 11 Pro was accepted. I rebooted Windows several times while exploring the conversion. I rebooted the mac after reconnecting it to the internet. I then used a virgin retail product key and Windows 11 Pro activated in less than 10 seconds. It's still activated and with 6 cores and 40Gb, it's nice and snappy. There is no text "Evaluation copy" at the bottom right.

I don't know if the clean install without encryption and all the reboots are necessary. Those were done for other reasons that had nothing to do with the Parallels/Windows/ARM install, but might have been a factor.