How to manual install CentOS 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GreenW, Jul 6, 2022.

1. GreenW

GreenW Bit poster

I am running parallels desktop 17.1.4 and want install CentOS 7 manually. My system version is macOS Monterey 12.2.1
    I download the iso of " CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-2009.iso"
    First i click "New" in parallels desktop and make some config about cpu / memory / disk
    when i select the iso and start the virtual machine
    the installation process stop at
    "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network"
    so can anyone help me about this problem, thanks
    my vm specs was 2C2G

Attached Files:

2. GreenW

GreenW Bit poster

I download a "CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1810.iso" image and try to install manually
    there is also the "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network" tips but it slash over
    then the install graphic appeared and i can install sucessfully.
    so is this a compatible bug for parallels desktop ?

3. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network" / "X startup failed, aborting installation" / "Pane is dead" error during installation. The boot mode in use may be causing these error messages. Try to install after enabling both UEFI and Legacy boot modes. If that doesn't help, then disable one and try the other. For installation guidance please refer to this KB article.

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we appreciate your response.

5. GreenW

GreenW Bit poster

So how do I disable "Try to install after enabling both UEFI and Legacy boot modes"
    is there any screenshot ? thanks

6. GreenW

GreenW Bit poster

I check the boot order option , but no effect.

Attached Files:

7. SvenG3

SvenG3 Bit poster

I had the same issue (installer stuck on "Not asking for VNC because we don't have a network") when using custom install. Setting the Graphics memory to "Auto" solved the problem for me. Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 08.43.00.png

8. GreenW

GreenW Bit poster

it doesn't work for me.

9. SvenG3

SvenG3 Bit poster

My bad, please make sure to also disable 3D-acceleration (click the "Advanced" button in Graphics settings to disable).

yaoy2 likes this.
  10. GreenW

GreenW Bit poster

Great, It works.
    There also the message, but the installation can continue to next step.
    Thank you very much.

11. harringg

harringg Bit poster

Been struggling with this today (CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-2009.iso) and can confirm that disabling 3-d acceleration and setting graphics to auto fixed it for me too (Parallels Pro v18.0.3, MacOS 13.0 Host). Thanks.

yaoy2 likes this.
  12. EddyK1

EddyK1 Bit poster

Does anyone know how to get it to go on Mac OS 13? I can't find the settings to turn off#D or set graphics to Auto

13. samee

samee Bit poster

Hey there! I've had a similar issue with installing CentOS 7 manually on Parallels Desktop. It sounds like the problem might be related to the network settings.

14. samee

samee Bit poster

Have you tried checking the network settings in your virtual machine to make sure everything is set up correctly? Also, I recommend checking out tuxcare.com for extended support for when CentOS 7 reaches its end of life in 2024. They offer additional 4 to 7 years of support including security patching, so you don't have to rush to migrate away from CentOS 7. Good luck!

15. DerrickJ1

DerrickJ1 Bit poster

Good day! Similar problems occurred when I manually installed CentOS 7 on Parallels Desktop. It sounds like the network settings may be the cause of the issue.