ParallelsDekstop 17.1.2.51548 crashes instantly on M1 Mac mini running macOS 12.3

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by RamGuy, Mar 24, 2022.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

Greetings,

I just purchased Parallels Desktop Pro. I'm planning on turning my upcoming Mac Studio into a server where it will be running Ubuntu Server for ARM and some other stuff and from what I could gather Parallels Desktop was much better when compared to VMware Fusion on Apple Silicon.

To start testing I tried to install Parallels Desktop on my M1 Mac mini running macOS 12.3 Monterey. I tried both the "Automatic Installer" and the ParallelsDekstop-17.1.2.51548 installer. Both results in instant crash when I try to launch Parallels Desktop. prl_client_app is instantly crashing.

It's impossible for me to get Parallels Desktop running. Is anyone else facing this issue? How do I make it work?

Attached Files:

2. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

I tried the version on the Mac App Store. That one just closes itself without any error messages or anything.

3. JerryG

JerryG Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm running the slightly earlier version of Parallels Desktop, 17.1.1 on the Studio Ultra and Windows 11 arm with no problems. If you can get a hold of 17.1.1, hopefully it would work for you.

4. JerryG

JerryG Member

PS Forgot to mention that prior to the Mac Studio, I was using the M1 Mac Mini and the same windows ran fine on that machine.

5. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

It's running fine on my MacBook Pro 14-inch with Apple M1 Pro also running macOS 12.3. I'm going to test a restore of my Mac mini. Ever since I installed macOS Server from the Apple AppStore on it, it has been acting strangely.

6. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I am running the same versions of Mac OS 12.3 and Parallels that you are running (Parallels was just updated yesterday I believe) and so far no issues with it crashing or anything. I did both as updates from the previous versions of Monterey and Parallels. Parallels even automatically installed the tools this time in my Windows 11ARM VM. Running on an M1 iMac.

7. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

Sadly, re-installing macOS 12.3 Monterey on my M1 Mac mini didn't change a thing. prl_client_app is instantly crashing.

8. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello,
    We're sorry to hear about the issue. Could you reproduce the issue once again and send us a report from the Terminal right after the reprodcution?
    1. Press Command + Space and type in 'Terminal'. Hit Enter to open the utility.
    2. Enter the command below and hit Enter:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prlsrvctl problem-report --send --stand-alone
    3. Wait once the command is executed (it might take up to 5 minutes). Once done, send us the 9-digit ID in your reply to this message.

9. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

Hi, MikhailU.

ramguy@anduril-macmini ~ % /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prlsrvctl problem-report --send --stand-alone
    Operation progress 100%

The problem report was successfully sent with id: 393733623

One thing to note is that my Mac mini installation isn't clean/fresh. I did revert from a Time Machine Backup that was done before adding macOS. But it's quite clean, I can't see much of a reason for why Parallels shouldn't be working on it.

10. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you a lot for the quick response!
    I've sent the report to our developers for the review.

11. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

Thank you, MikhailU.

Looking forward to the response. Luckily my Mac mini is not the end goal for my Parallels usage. It's going to run on my Mac Studio that arrives mid-June. I was just going to play around with it on my Mac mini to verify if I'm able to get Windows 11 for ARM, Ubuntu Server for ARM etc. running. It runs perfectly fine on my MacBook Pro 14-inch with Apple M1 Pro and Windows 11 for ARM 22000.556 GA is running extremely well so far. The responsiveness is great.

As my Pro license is for one machine only, how do I go by to ensure that I unlink my license from my MacBook Pro 14-inch and Mac mini ones my Mac Studio arrives to avoid licenses conflicts? Would it be enough to simply log out of my account on the machines where I don't want to apply my license?

12. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you very much for your feedback! Developers have looked at the issue and it seems the issue might have been caused by the fact the Parallels Desktop application has been moved but not installed from the installer. We'll try reproducing it locally to address it.
    My proposal - kindly try to uninstall Parallels Desktop and download it again from here. Once downloaded, initiate the installation and check if it helped.
    As for your licensing question, it'd be enough to simply activate the license on your new Mac. The license will be automatically deactivated on the old one. More details can be found here:
    https://kb.parallels.com/123461 .

13. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

ramguy@anduril-macmini ~ % /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prlsrvctl problem-report --send --stand-alone
    Operation progress 100%

The problem report was successfully sent with id: 393743163

I uploaded a new one.

Re-installing didn't change anything. I suspect the reason why they see references about it being moved is because I also downloaded Parallels Desktop from the Mac AppStore and as the apps have the same name the one from the Mac AppStore is being moved into Applications\Parallels\Parallels Desktop.app.

I removed both installations, rebooted and installed using your link but it's still the same. Generated the new report/uploaded from the new installation. Normally I use brew.sh to install applications:

brew install --cask parallels

Worked wonderfully on my MacBook Pro 14-inch. But my latest attempt was using your link and the DMG file.

14. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you very much for your feedback!

15. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

Woud just like to give you a small update that I just tried after updating to macOS 12.3.1 and it's still the same behaviour.

16. RamGuy

RamGuy Junior Member

Hi, MikhailU@Parallels.
    Any updates? I'm still unable to get Parallels Desktop going on my M1 Mac mini.

17. ShengZ

ShengZ Bit poster

yes, I'm using an m1 Mac and encounter this problem constantly too. especially when mac gets into sleep.

18. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello.
    I've asked our Second Line engineers to open tickets for you to assist.

19. JamesS66

JamesS66 Bit poster

This has nothing to do with the installer or the location of the Parallels Desktop app. Remove all of the VM files (.macvm, .pvm, etc) from the VM folder. Then open Parallels Desktop and it will work. Then one by one add the VM files (.macvm, .pvm, etc) back into the VM folder and start them; do not add them all at once. Obviously, if you have linked VM files you need to move and restart the base VM first.

This clearly has something to do with a cache NOT installation.