Impossible to import "old" XP VM on Intel Mac to Parallels 17 WD11 on M1 Mac...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AntonioA13, Aug 8, 2022.

1. AntonioA13

AntonioA13 Bit poster

Hello comunity!!

Hopefully one of you will help me.

I had a MacBook Pro 13" 2016 (Intel processor) running Parallels 11 with a VM of Windows XP (from an old office PC i had).
    This was running smoothly, and from time to time i was acceding it to check some old works etc.

Last year i sold it and kept a backup of the .pvm file so i could use if necessary in the future.

I am now using a Macbook Pro 2021 14" with M1 Pro processor.
    Did upgrade Parallels to its current 17th version and was trying to "import" my previous .pvm and just CANT!! Looks like an impossible mission...

I installed fresh Windows 11 after upgrading Parallels to 17 and tried to used the info "as to import old VM files and folders".
    https://kb.parallels.com/125344 (I've tryed all)
    INFO
    Transfer data from an Intel-based VM to an ARM-based VM For Windows x86 VM
    1. Click the Parallels icon (||) on the top menu bar > Control Center.
    2. Right-click the virtual machine > select Show Hard Disk Contents...

The problem is that the "Show Hard Disk Contents" does not appear!! So basically, i am stuck with no access to the 25GB from my previous VM....
    PLEASE HELP!!!

Attached Files:

2. AntonioA13

AntonioA13 Bit poster

"An Intel-based virtual machine (VM) cannot be started on a new Mac with Apple M1 chip because it is not compatible with Mac computers equipped with the Apple M1 chip. The same applies to a VM created on a Mac with Apple M1 chip that cannot be started on a Mac with an Intel processor. How to copy the data from this VM?"

That is the question!!
    I need to have acces to the files to import them (manually) to the new machine... this will save me already!! Anyone?

3. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

A quick solution to your problem would be to borrow a PC (or an Intel-based Mac), install a trial copy of Parallels, copy your VM to the new computer, and install it under Parallels. Once the VM is open, copy all of your data to a Samsung T5, T6, or T7 drive, and then shut it all down.

You now have your data, but know that there is just no way to run a a VM from an Intel-based Mac on an M1-based Mac.