Parallels, iCloud for Windows Not Working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JoelCYYZ, Dec 24, 2021.

1. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

I a running Parallels 17.1.1. and Windows 11 on a 2021 MBP.

I cannot get iCloud for Windows to work; specifically, when I try to sync Mail the cog wheel spins and never stuck.

I therefore cannot get my calendar and contacts into Outlook 365 for Windows (which is made worse by the fact that Outlook 365 for Mac does not sync macOS calendars or contacts, meaning I am stuck).

The asks:
    1. Does anyone else have this problem;

2. Does anyone have a solution to this problem;

3. Has anyone been able to get iCloud for Windows to work under and ARM/Parallels/Windows combination; and

4. Is this an ARM, Parallels or Windows 11 Problem?

Thanks

2. SteveG25

SteveG25 Bit poster

I have had same issue - spent time talking with Parallels tech who tried many approaches to install iCloud ... ultimately was told that the iCloud-Windows version is not compatible with M1-processor.
    Still waiting/hoping for solution.

3. MatteoCorti

MatteoCorti Bit poster

Same with Parallels 17.1.2

4. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

5. MatteoCorti

MatteoCorti Bit poster

This article has nothing to do with the integration of calendars in Outlook.

6. PaulS73

PaulS73 Bit poster

This didn't help me. I am trying to install on an M1 laptop and cannot even install. Can you be more specific on what portion of this article is supposed to help.

MasatoO likes this.
  7. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

A quick question that hopefully someone has an answer to...does Parallels 18 -- as just released -- now support iCloud for Windows on an M1 machine?

Thanks.

8. MatteoCorti

MatteoCorti Bit poster

There is some improvement with Parallels 18: I can install the app, log in to iCloud and sync everything but Contacts and Calendar (Drive, Photos and Passwords are OK).

With Contacts and Calendars I get: "Outlook configuration problem", "Setup can't continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile. Check your Outlook settings and try again".

I just have one profile. I set the profile to manual and then to the only existing one again but no improvement.

TolgaT1 likes this.
  9. MatteoCorti

MatteoCorti Bit poster

I forgot: I had to delete these Registry Keys: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l-client/c2b5d105-04ac-4392-b174-74dd54d7b262

10. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

@MatteoCorti , I thank you for the response. I wish they would have addressed / fixed the "Contacts and Calendar" as this is the ONLY functionality that I am interested in. In the FWIW category, I too get the message "Setup can't continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile. Check your Outlook settings and try again" when I try to sync the "Contacts and Calendars".

Hopefully Apple / Microsoft will get this fixed sooner rather than later though I must admit that I am getting very impatient!

Thanks.

11. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I have been testing iCloud for Windows for many years, in the hope that I could recommend it to non-Apple relatives and start using it for sharing photo Albums and documents. Unfortunately it just seems flaky. For the past eighteen months I have been using M1 Macs and Parallels 16, 17 and 18. I have never heard that iCloud for Windows is not supported for M1 Macs, but that might explain a lot. The specific issues I find are:-
    1. I always get the "Outlook is not set as default ....." with iCloud for Windows installed, BEFORE even trying to use Outlook. Google finds many many suggested solutions of which I have tried many without success. The iCloud Settings Control Panel appears to freeze sometimes because the message appears behind the iCloud Panel and cannot be dismissed and the control panel window cannot be moved.
    2. Shared Photos sort of work but I have not succeeded in adding a photo to a shared album from Windows, (even though album setting says I should be able to). Also the folder of iCloud Pictures contains many shared albums that were deleted years ago.
    3. iCloud Drive appears to work the best of the features.
    4. Long ago I did try syncing bookmarks and got in a mess of duplicated and unwanted bookmarks syncing to my Macs, so I have steered clear of that feature more recently. It is probably avoidable with more preparation.

12. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Keep forgetting this is easily avoided by bringing the "Outlook is not set as default...." message to the foreground from the 'Dock'

MasatoO likes this.
  13. DetlefO

DetlefO Bit poster

Has anybody received an answer for this problem? I agree, its really annoying that you cannot sync icloud calendars with MS Outlook in parallels.

14. MarioP14

MarioP14 Bit poster

I got the same problem since i´ve buy in 12/2021 MacBook Pro (14", 2021) M1 Pro Chip - the problem is Win11 you need - Win11 is only possible on M1 and Win11 makes problems... I hoped Parallels 18 Test will help but it isn't... Can someone help me???

MasatoO likes this.
  15. TimT10

TimT10 Bit poster

I've been facing this problem since December 2020, the time I git the new M1 MBA.
    iCloud for Windows is just incompatible with Windows ARM. Doesn't matter, if its Windows 10 or 11. The Problem also shows up on the Microsoft Surface, which also runs with Windows ARM.

16. LanceG2

LanceG2 Bit poster

Success! Had issue of the install hanging, "Getting things ready". Opened Task Manager, canceled iCloud Photos (note it was not installed yet, cancel out of none installation related feature set.) Install resumed, calendar sync with Outlook 2021 (think it is actually 365 for ARM, MS patch), passwords, browser extensions all working.

Installed on MBP M2 Max, Parallels Desktop 18, Win 11 Pro Build 22621

AnthonyR19 likes this.
  17. TimT10

TimT10 Bit poster

Hello LanceG2
    The first tip worked for continuing the installation. Thanks a lot for this!
    However, iCloud for Windows still cannot be used. When activating Contacts and Calendar, the following error message appears:
    "Setup can't continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile. Check your Outlook settings and try again."

TolgaT1 likes this.
  18. AnthonyR19

AnthonyR19 Bit poster

Thanks for the solution @LanceG2, I didn't think of this!
    In case anyone else finds this thread, this is my experience so far:
    - Windows 11 Professional ARM.
    - Bookmarks and passwords work fine (my use case).
    - iCloud Drive gets stuck at 'Initializing...' (I don't need this in Parallels) but you can turn it back off without killing the app.
    - Enabling photos kills the app (as per the original problem) requiring it to be reinstalled (AFAIK).
    - I wasn't able to find a solution to the default mail client popup issue - I believe it's because of 64 bit Outlook and some of the iCloud plug-in is 32bit (certainly the drive portion). Slightly annoying but better than not having bookmarks and passwords IMHO.
    Cheers.

19. TimT10

TimT10 Bit poster

@AnthonyR19
    I have tried both versions:
    • Office 2019 or 2021, 32 bit:
      "Setup can't continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile. Check your Outlook settings and try again."
      German: "Die Konfiguration kann nicht fortgesetzt werden da Outlook ohne Standardprofil eingerichtet wurde."
    • Office 2019 or 2021, 64 bit:
      "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client."
      German: "Es ist kein standardmäßiger E-Mail-Client vorhanden, oder der aktuelle E-Mail-Client kann die Nachrichtenanforderung nicht erfüllen. Führen Sie Microsoft Outlook aus, und legen Sie Outlook als standardmäßigen E-Mail-Client fest."

20. Eric56

Eric56 Bit poster

This issue doesn't come from Parallels or the processor type, Intel/Arm. This issue is linked to the obsolescence of iCloud for Windows, the latest version of which dates from 2019. It's simply no longer compatible with the latest versions of Windows 11, even on a PC. To be able to use iCloud for Windows on a PC, you must first uninstall 2 recent Windows 11 updates, then install and configure iCloud for Windows and finally, update Windows 11. I've communicated the information to Microsoft but probably for them, it's up to the software to evolve. In short, the release of the new version of Outlook for Mac allows native synchronization of iCloud Contacts and Calendars, it's no longer necessary to use software or install Windows via Parallels. However, there're a whole bunch of features that have disappeared and still no support for PST archives.