Parallels 18

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Mark Fine, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

As usual, no reference to what *Linux kernels* are supported... only conflicting references to the versions of Fedora it supports, which is not even close to the same thing.

Remind me why I have a subscription to this again? I'm getting closer and closer to just buying a couple of cheap laptops that will run Linux and Win11 without the constant workarounds and manual code changes. Pretty sure the credibility behind the improved mouse and USB support claim for P18 is shot, since it was never really fixed in P17.

2. ShawnC4

ShawnC4 Member

I definitely understand your frustration, and I want to thank you for all of your help on these forums, Mark. You've helped me and I suspect many others stay up to date on reasonably current Linux distros under Parallels. So thanks for everything you do here.

FWIW I took the plunge on the Parallels update and I can say the stock prltools are at least basically working on an up-to-date fedora VM:

[scarey@fedora-36-vm ~]$ prltoolsd -V
    Parallels Tools: 18.0.53049
    [scarey@fedora-36-vm ~]$ uname -r
    5.18.16-200.fc36.aarch64

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I do appreciate it, @ShawnC4, but as I've said before, there are others that have done a whole lot more than I have wrt to the actual required code changes and deserve a lot more of the credit. I certainly hope Parallels is giving them a suitable discount for their development efforts because without them at least the Linux side of this application would be dead in the water.

It's good to know that at least 5.18.x for aarch works, frankly I didn't have the stomach to try. As you've noted that you are on 5.18.16, as am I right now, but for x86_64. This upgrade is going to be a somewhat short-lived success unless they've already included the appropriate changes for 5.19.x. I haven't checked the release schedule, but that kernel series should be hitting us within a week or two.

I'd prefer to not have to re-apply the code changes on a brand new Tools baseline that I already applied to the P17 Tools baseline such that the kernel upgrade would be as seamless as possible... something we really shouldn't have to worry about in the first place.

4. brad-x

brad-x Junior Member

Kernel 5.19 presents illegal opcode errors for certain command line utilities such as cksum, verified on Intel for 17.1.4 and 18.0

5. brad-x

brad-x Junior Member

That's annoying, I can't edit my post. Anyway, I'm surprised hypervisor applications still exhibit guest specific issues - QEMU via HVF (macOS) or KVM (Linux) will run a vast range of Linux kernels in accelerated mode.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

So, 18's already behind the 8-ball. They're never ahead of the Linux kernel game. Never have, never will. Very frustrating.

7. MitchellH3

MitchellH3 Bit poster

I don't know if this is a v18 host issue or a guest tools issue (still on v17 guest tools) but as soon as I upgraded to 18, my keyboard inputs are periodically duplicated which is extremely frustrating. Downgrading to v17 on the host did fix the issue. I've done this a couple times to verify. I don't have a v18 guest tools setup yet so I can't see if it happens with that. For now, I'm on v17.

8. SanN1

SanN1 Bit poster

I have the same issue with @MitchellH3 . Currently downgraded to v17. prl-tools v18 on App v17 works fine though.

9. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi All!
    Would you install Parallels Desktop 18 back and reproduce the issue once again? We're trying to research the issue and fix it.
    To investigate it, we need a technical report collected at the moment of reproduction: click the Parallels icon on the top menubar > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report. Send the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.