Parallels Tools installation fails with Parallels 18

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by PhilippR6, Aug 11, 2022.

1. PhilippR6

PhilippR6 Bit poster

Hi there,

after the update to Parallels 18, the installation of parallels tools via vagrant-parallels is broken.

Code:
    vagrant@vm:~$ ptiagent-cmd
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/installer/iagent-arm64/ptiagent-arm64-cmd: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.60: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

2. PhilippR6

PhilippR6 Bit poster

Since I cant edit my comment: I forgot to mention that I am trying to install parallels tools in a Ubuntu 22.04 VM.

3. MatthewS25

MatthewS25 Bit poster

Similarly, after I updated to Parallels 18 yesterday (MacOS 10.15.7), Parallels Tools failed to install: the "restart MacOS" button (guest OS is MacOS 10.12.6) resulted in a black screen (within Parallels) and a failure to do anything else. After reverting to the last saved state several times and encountering the same black screen after a few minutes each time, I reverted to Parallels 17. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.

Attached Files:

4. DragosI

DragosI Bit poster

Same issue here with Parallels Desktop Pro 18.0.0 (53049) and MacOS Monterey 12.5. Guest OS is Ubuntu Server ARM. Worked great before the update from 17 to 18

5. DragosI

DragosI Bit poster

I filed an issue ticket with Parallels support. Let's see if we can get a quick fix

6. brad-x

brad-x Junior Member

Mildly offtopic but I'm curious as to what we use the Parallels Tools for with Linux guests?

7. EricH15

EricH15 Bit poster

Which kernel version are you using (available via terminal: uname -r )

I had an issue with Parallels Tools not installing on 5.18 and had to use kernel 5.17 for now.

8. DragosI

DragosI Bit poster

It enables cut-and-paste and file sharing between guest OS and host OS. It may also accelerate graphics, disk and network I/O by using the devices "directly" (paravirtualization)

9. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Those are the highlights, but it's actually a little bit more than that, with respect to keyboard/mouse and display/graphics interfacing. For all intents and purposes, it's the glue for just about all seamless I/O between guest and host operating systems.

10. DragosI

DragosI Bit poster

Support suggested to do a manual upgrade of Parallels Tools as documented in https://kb.parallels.com/en/121370. It worked for me.
    Linux server 5.15.0-46-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 4 18:08:11 UTC 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

MichaelW88 likes this.
  11. DragosI

DragosI Bit poster

Linux server 5.15.0-46-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 4 18:08:11 UTC 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

12. MichaelW88

MichaelW88 Bit poster

> Support suggested to do a manual upgrade of Parallels Tools as documented in https://kb.parallels.com/en/121370. It worked for me.

It worked for me as well, but I'm running on an M1 Mac and so when I was told to mount `prl-tools-lin.iso`, I instead mounted `prl-tools-lin-arm.iso`

Nazeemabanu@P likes this.
  13. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Thank you for your reply. Kindly note that `prl-tools-lin.iso` is for intel Mac and `prl-tools-lin-arm.iso` for Apple M series Mac to reinstall the Parallels Tools. Thanks.

14. MarianoM2

MarianoM2 Bit poster

I had the same issue when upgrading from 17 to 18. And I can also confirm that following the manual instructions of support did fix it for me.